Q. A swab from my vaginal tear showed positive HSV-1 and IgG. Please help.

Answered by
Dr. Manish Purohit
and medically reviewed by iCliniq medical review team.
This is a premium question & answer published on Feb 28, 2017 and last reviewed on: Oct 09, 2018

Hello doctor,

After a few days of having rough intercourse with my boyfriend, I began having pain and yellowish discharge from my vagina. A nurse examined me and told me that I had a tear inside my vagina. She took a swab of the tear, and I had blood workup done. The reports showed positive HSV-1 and IgG. I used to get a burning sensation on my upper lip and have frequent sores on my lips years ago, but after some time they stopped. I was wondering if I got the HSV-1 because of the vaginal tear or the lip sores years ago? I am having anxiety since this happened and I cannot sleep. I have attached my reports and photos. I will appreciate your help.



Welcome to icliniq.com.

  • It is rare but possible to isolate HSV-1 from vaginal discharge as you have a history of the same infection.
  • Isolation of HSV-1 from vagina does not confirm it as a causative agent in your case because your reports and clinical photo (attachment removed to protect patient identity) show chlamydial infection also.
  • Isolation of IgG may also be because of the previous infection. This antibody persists in the body for years even after the treatment.

For further queries consult a family physician online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/family-physician

Hi doctor,

Thank you so much, you have helped ease my anxiety. Is it possible to isolate HSV because it was already in my body from previous oral outbreaks? And also, does isolation mean the virus was isolated, or the antibody was isolated? I took antibiotics for chlamydia, but I had sexual intercourse with my boyfriend again after three days of taking medicines. Could I be re-infected with chlamydia?



Welcome back to icliniq.com.

  • You have undergone two test one for IgG antibody, and one for HSV-1 virus isolation and both the tests were found to be positive.
  • But as I said IgG antibody persist in the body for years after infection and virus usually disappear after some time. The period is not fixed but varied from person to person and viral load present in the body. And its presence does not indicate disease.
  • I have advised you to use protection during sexual intercourse because the chances of cross infection and re-infection are higher during this time.
  • Confirmation of removal of virus from the vagina can only be done after culture.

For further queries consult a family physician online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/family-physician

Was this answer helpful?


Also Read Answers From:

Comprehensive Medical Second Opinion.Submit your Case

Related Questions & Answers

Why do I have vaginal pain during periods?

Query: Hi doctor, What could be the reason for vaginal pain during periods? It happens for a few minutes when the periods start and sometimes on and off on the second and third day. It is happening for many years. My periods are regular. My sonography is normal. I experience a lot of vaginal dryness and ...  Read Full »

My sister is suffering from severe vaginal pain. What to do?

Query: Hi doctor, I need an opinion regarding my elder sister. She is 52 years old. She is diabetic and is suffering from severe vaginal pain for the last few weeks. While collection of pap smear, the swab was bloody and it was very painful for her. She is currently using Candid cream and Candid V6 tablet ...  Read Full »

Can unprotected sex on third day of period cause pregnancy?

Query: Hello doctor, I and my fiancee had unprotected sex on the third day of her period. I did not ejaculate inside her. And she also has the history of an irregular period but from the past three months, she is getting her regular period. I just want to know what are the chances of pregnancy.  Read Full »

Also Read

COVID-19 Vaccines
A COVID-19 vaccine provides acquired immunity against the new Coronavirus. Read the article to know everything about the...  Read more»
Does CD marker help in identification of blood cancer?
Hi doctor, I am a 25-year-old male suffering from joint pain and pain in the knees. I also have nausea, vomiting, gynec...  Read more»
I suddenly got fainted and woked up with bruising in eyes. Why?
Hi doctor,I am 28 years old with normal weight and following a vegetarian diet. Last month, I fainted at home and my fri...  Read more»

Ask your health query to a doctor online?

Ask a Family Physician Now

* guaranteed answer within 4 hours.

Disclaimer: All health Q&As published on this website are not intended to be a substitute for professional medical diagnosis, advice or treatment by a trained physician. Seek the advice from your physician or other qualified health-care providers with questions you may have regarding your symptoms and medical condition for a complete medical diagnosis. Do not delay or disregard seeking professional medical advice because of something you have read on this website.