Q. Is a positive HPV test taken three years ago, a cause of concern when the colposcopy is normal?

Dr. Nisha Marhatta

My wife's Pap smear test and HPV test showed CIN1 and HPV 16 positive three years back. Two years back, the colposcopy was normal. One month back, Pap smear test and HPV test were repeated. The result was negative for HPV, but the Pap smear showed some changes and abnormalities. Could you please give an opinion regarding the latest results?

#

HPV (human papillomavirus) is a virus that can cause cervical cancer. It can occasionally infect, and the body clears it up by normal immune defense mechanism; if that fails, subtle changes can happen at the cervix, which over the years can progress into cancer. However, from your history three years back, it was HPV positive with mild cervical changes, but the colposcopy after a year is normal. So there is nothing much to worry about. I suggest doing routine HPV DNA (deoxyribonucleic acid) testing and Pap smear, called co-testing, should be done once in three years.

Thanks for the reply.

Could you please give your opinion about the last Pap smear? I will attach the reports. Kindly help.

#

I have gone through the reports (the attachments were removed to protect the patient's identity).

With these results of negative HPV and mild cervicitis and no dysplasia seen in Pap smear, I suggest you repeat co-testing (HPV and Pap) every three years once.

|