Q. My baby's head size is big. Is it due to any abnormality?

Dr. J Mariano Anto Bruno Mascarenhas
Published on Aug 05, 2016

I was blessed with twin baby girls before three months. It was a premature C-section at 36th week. At birth, one of my baby head size was 33 cm. After some days, it was 36.5 cm. So, the doctor was surprised and sent for an ultrasound scan. I have attached the first report of the scan. It showed a small cyst in germinal matrix and it also said the subtle prominence of lateral ventricle. After 15 days of follow up scan, they said the cyst was dissolved. But, they did not mention about ventricles. One thing I observed is that the head size of my husband, his brother and his mom is big enough and they do not have any problem. My baby is very active. There are no symptoms of irritation and vomiting. Also, the fontanelle looks normal.

When I went for a second month checkup the baby head size was 40 and so the doctor again asked for a scan. I have attached the second report too. It showed bilateral mild prominence of lateral ventricles measuring 12-13 mm. After this, my pediatrician asked us to consult a neurologist. I am scared now. Is there any problem or complication? What does that mean? Please explain. I am unable to nurse my babies for the past one week. Please help me. Baby1 head size (problem child): At birth - 33 cm , 1 month - 37 cm, 2 months - 40 cm and 2.5 months - 40.5 cm. Baby 2 head size : At birth - 32.8 cm, 1 month - 35 cm and 2 months - 38 cm.

Dr. J Mariano Anto Bruno Mascarenhas

Neuro Surgery Neurology Spine Health Spine Surgery
#

I have gone through your query with diligence and would like you to know that I am here to help you.

• The head circumference of 40.5 cm at 8 weeks of age is definitely abnormal. In addition to that, the scan report (attachment removed to protect patient identity) clearly says that the ventricles are dilated.
  • Please do not delay since the child is active. If the pressure inside the brain increases, it will interfere with the further development of the brain.

For further doubts consult a neurologist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/neurologist

Can I give Babygesic drops for fever?

Query: Hi doctor, My baby, who is 1 year old, is suffering from fever. It is 104 Fahrenheit from last one hour. Please help me.  Read Full >>

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. I suggest you to give him a Panadol drop (Paracetamol) about 8 to 10 drops or 2.5 mL for every eight hours for fever. Consult your specialist doctor, discuss with him or her and take the medicine with their consent. If his fever is not coming down, then please do cold ...  Read Full

What could be the cause of headache after nine months of head injury?

Query: Hi doctor, My mother, who had a stroke from a blow injury (heavy fall and hit the back of her head) to the lower back of her head before nine months, is still having headaches on physical exertion, especially at work. She is a nurse and occasionally has to help move or lift patients, which always ...  Read Full >>

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. I have read your question with care and understood your concern. It means that whenever her abdominal pressure rises, she gets a headache. This is because the pressure inside the skull called intracranial pressure raises whenever her abdominal pressure rises. The intracr...  Read Full

Will seizures slow my daughter's growth and development?

Query: Hello doctor, My 12 year daughter has been suffering from seizures since birth. The cause of the seizure was not known, that is, idiopathic. She is now taking Valparin 500 Chrono and Levipil 750 both two times daily. Last seizure occurred four years ago. Developments are slow although attained puber...  Read Full >>

Dr. Aida Quka

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. I understand your concern and would explain that as your daughter has been suffering from seizures since birth, it is very likely that her brain has been damaged during birth (from hypoxia) or she has any specific genetic syndrome, associated to seizures. Both these...  Read Full