Q. My baby's head size is big. Is it due to any abnormality?

Dr. J Mariano Anto Bruno Mascarenhas
This is a premium question & answer published on Aug 05, 2016 and last reviewed on: Jun 29, 2020

I was blessed with twin baby girls before three months. It was a premature C-section at 36th week. At birth, one of my baby head size was 33 cm. After some days, it was 36.5 cm. So, the doctor was surprised and sent for an ultrasound scan. I have attached the first report of the scan. It showed a small cyst in germinal matrix and it also said the subtle prominence of lateral ventricle. After 15 days of follow up scan, they said the cyst was dissolved. But, they did not mention about ventricles. One thing I observed is that the head size of my husband, his brother and his mom is big enough and they do not have any problem. My baby is very active. There are no symptoms of irritation and vomiting. Also, the fontanelle looks normal.

When I went for a second month checkup the baby head size was 40 and so the doctor again asked for a scan. I have attached the second report too. It showed bilateral mild prominence of lateral ventricles measuring 12-13 mm. After this, my pediatrician asked us to consult a neurologist. I am scared now. Is there any problem or complication? What does that mean? Please explain. I am unable to nurse my babies for the past one week. Please help me. Baby1 head size (problem child): At birth - 33 cm , 1 month - 37 cm, 2 months - 40 cm and 2.5 months - 40.5 cm. Baby 2 head size : At birth - 32.8 cm, 1 month - 35 cm and 2 months - 38 cm.

#

I have gone through your query with diligence and would like you to know that I am here to help you.

• The head circumference of 40.5 cm at 8 weeks of age is definitely abnormal. In addition to that, the scan report (attachment removed to protect patient identity) clearly says that the ventricles are dilated.
  • Please do not delay since the child is active. If the pressure inside the brain increases, it will interfere with the further development of the brain.

For further doubts consult a neurologist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/neurologist

|