Q. Will seizures slow my daughter's growth and development?

Dr. Aida Abaz Quka

My 12 year daughter has been suffering from seizures since birth. The cause of the seizure was not known, that is, idiopathic. She is now taking Valparin 500 Chrono and Levipil 750 both two times daily. Last seizure occurred four years ago. Developments are slow although attained puberty last year at the age of 11 years. Academic achievements are fairly poor seemed to be dysgraphic. Can I expect any improvement in the future?

#

I understand your concern and would explain that as your daughter has been suffering from seizures since birth, it is very likely that her brain has been damaged during birth (from hypoxia) or she has any specific genetic syndrome, associated to seizures.

Both these conditions, indicate that her brain is not like other girls of her age.

On the other hand repeated seizures, lead to important neuronal (brain cell) damage to her brain.

For this reason, we cannot expect her to have the same development as others. But, as she is still young, there is still hope for improvement in the future. You should just try to be more patient.

The most important thing is that her seizures seem to be under control with her current therapy.

Regarding her current therapy, you should know that Valparin can lead to ovarian cysts and menstrual cycle irregularities.

For this reason, I would recommend performing periodically an abdominal ultrasound to check her ovaries.

Hope you will find this answer helpful.

For more information consult a neurologist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/neurologist

|