Q. Is it safe to use Daktacort cream on genital region?

Dr. Ashwini V Swamy
This is a premium question & answer published on Jun 11, 2018 and last reviewed on: Sep 16, 2020

I have had a fungal infection on my penis for a month or so now. I saw my GP and was prescribed Daktarin cream, and the symptoms decreased significantly. However, I recently run out, and I experienced dry skin again. I was prescribed Daktacort cream this time, however, it says not to be used on genital region. Is it safe to use? Also, as I am only experiencing mild dry skin now, would butter be suitable to use as a moisturizer?

#

Daktacort is a combination cream. It has Hydrocortisone along with anti-fungal. It can be used safely for up to two weeks, not beyond that. Hydrocortisone is low potent topical corticosteroids, it can be used on the face as well as genitalia under the supervision of a dermatologist. It is so mild that it is FDA approved for treating dermatitis in children.

In fungal infection, it is wise to avoid combination creams, as fungus starts developing resistance to antifungal. Hydrocortisone can be used for winter (dry) dermatitis, along with good moisturizer which has ceramide content in it, only for two weeks. Moisturizer can be mixed with Hydrocortisone or Hydrocortisone to be used at night. The moisturizer to be used in the morning. After two weeks continue to use moisturizer.

For more information consult a dermatologist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/dermatologist

| 

How can I cure dry skin around my lips that is peeling off?

Query: Hello doctor, My skin around the lip is always dry and peeling off. I tried applying all natural moisturizers like ghee, olive oil, etc. My doctor has asked me to take Neurobion for vitamin deficiency. Still, no improvement related to dryness. Kindly suggest a remedy for this.  Read Full »

Why are my armpits gray, itchy and scabby?

Query: Hi doctor, My armpits are gray, itchy, and scabby. It involves my entire armpit, and it extends down to my side boob and around my shoulders. I do not know the reason for having it. I also had the same problem last year too. I always have a lot of sweating.  Read Full »

I get twitches on my calves, shoulders, and head after getting the Novavax COVID vaccine. Please help.
Hello doctor, I got the Novavax COVID vaccine. Since I had the vaccine, I had bad arm pain. But the scary thing that ha...  Read more»
It hurts when I push above my left breast bone. Please help.
Hi doctor, I have been having some chest pain issues. When I push above my left breast bone it hurts in only one spot. ...  Read more»
Bird Flu (Avian Influenza) - Causes, Symptoms, Mortality Rate, and Treatment
Bird flu or avian influenza is a viral infection that spreads among birds and can affect humans rarely. Read the article...  Read more»