Q. Is it safe to use Daktacort cream on genital region?

Dr. Ashwini V Swamy
This is a premium question & answer published on Jun 11, 2018 and last reviewed on: Sep 16, 2020

I have had a fungal infection on my penis for a month or so now. I saw my GP and was prescribed Daktarin cream, and the symptoms decreased significantly. However, I recently run out, and I experienced dry skin again. I was prescribed Daktacort cream this time, however, it says not to be used on genital region. Is it safe to use? Also, as I am only experiencing mild dry skin now, would butter be suitable to use as a moisturizer?

Dr. Ashwini V Swamy

Dermatology Venereology
#

Daktacort is a combination cream. It has Hydrocortisone along with anti-fungal. It can be used safely for up to two weeks, not beyond that. Hydrocortisone is low potent topical corticosteroids, it can be used on the face as well as genitalia under the supervision of a dermatologist. It is so mild that it is FDA approved for treating dermatitis in children.

In fungal infection, it is wise to avoid combination creams, as fungus starts developing resistance to antifungal. Hydrocortisone can be used for winter (dry) dermatitis, along with good moisturizer which has ceramide content in it, only for two weeks. Moisturizer can be mixed with Hydrocortisone or Hydrocortisone to be used at night. The moisturizer to be used in the morning. After two weeks continue to use moisturizer.

For more information consult a dermatologist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/dermatologist

|