Q. Is it safe to use Daktacort cream on genital region?

Dr. Ashwini V Swamy
Published on Jun 11, 2018 and last reviewed on: Sep 10, 2019

I have had a fungal infection on my penis for a month or so now. I saw my GP and was prescribed Daktarin cream, and the symptoms decreased significantly. However, I recently run out, and I experienced dry skin again. I was prescribed Daktacort cream this time, however, it says not to be used on genital region. Is it safe to use? Also, as I am only experiencing mild dry skin now, would butter be suitable to use as a moisturizer?

Dr. Ashwini V Swamy

Dermatology Venereology
#

Daktacort is a combination cream. It has Hydrocortisone along with anti-fungal. It can be used safely for up to two weeks, not beyond that. Hydrocortisone is low potent topical corticosteroids, it can be used on the face as well as genitalia under the supervision of a dermatologist. It is so mild that it is FDA approved for treating dermatitis in children.

In fungal infection, it is wise to avoid combination creams, as fungus starts developing resistance to antifungal. Hydrocortisone can be used for winter (dry) dermatitis, along with good moisturizer which has ceramide content in it, only for two weeks. Moisturizer can be mixed with Hydrocortisone or Hydrocortisone to be used at night. The moisturizer to be used in the morning. After two weeks continue to use moisturizer.

For more information consult a dermatologist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/dermatologist

How can I cure dry skin around my lips that is peeling off?

Query: Hello doctor, My skin around the lip is always dry and peeling off. I tried applying all natural moisturizers like ghee, olive oil, etc. My doctor has asked me to take Neurobion for vitamin deficiency. Still, no improvement related to dryness. Kindly suggest a remedy for this.  Read Full >>

Dr. Kakkar
Dermatologist, HIV AIDS Specialist, Venereologist

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. I suggest you apply Flutivate (Fluticasone propionate) cream, twice daily for a week. Thereafter, I suggest you apply NMF-e lip balm, 2 to 3 times in a day. For more information consult a dermatologist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/dermatolo...  Read Full

Why are my armpits gray, itchy and scabby?

Query: Hi doctor, My armpits are gray, itchy, and scabby. It involves my entire armpit, and it extends down to my side boob and around my shoulders. I do not know the reason for having it. I also had the same problem last year too. I always have a lot of sweating.  Read Full >>

Dr. Shanza Ikram

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. You may have a fungus on your skin. Please mix Hydrocortisone and Clotrimazole cream in equal amount and apply it over the skin two times a day for 14 days. Maintain good hygiene. Try to avoid having sweating as much as you can. Apply deodorant regularly. Please send a ...  Read Full