Hydrogen Peroxide

My stepfather had mastoidectomies. Is hydrogen peroxide safe for him to clear ear wax?

Query: Hello doctor, My 84-year old stepfather had, apparently, two radical left-ear wall-up mastoidectomies in the late 50s and 60s. The second was done to fix the poor job done by the first at a county hospital for the indigent. Recently, caregivers said they were planing on using hydrogen peroxide in h...  Read Full »

Allergy Specialist, General Practitioner, ENT Otolaryngologist, Family Physician

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. As I understand, your father had undergone two ear surgeries when he was in his 30s or so. He would have either undergone canal wall up or canal wall down mastoidectomies. Radical and modified radical come under CWD, and cortical comes under CWU mastoidectomies. Anyw...  Read Full »

How to Unclog your ear?

Query: Hello doctor, I woke up five days ago with clogging in my ears. Stupidly, I went with one of the first solutions I found online and poured hydrogen peroxide in my ear. It is now stuck in my ear canal and I cannot get it out. I have tried Swim-ear drops, ear candle, wax removal kit and shaking my hea...  Read Full »

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. How sure are you it is wax that caused the blocked ears? If you are absolutely sure, you can put the wax dissolving drops and, it will act on the wax, temporarily swell it and then dissolve it. Or, it will make the wax soft enough for easy removal by a doctor using...  Read Full »

Severe pain due to wisdom tooth eruption. How to manage the pain till I visit my dentist?

Query: Hi doctor, I am having major pain in the back bottom right side of my mouth where my wisdom tooth is pushing in. I can see the wisdom tooth. What can I do for pain since the earliest my dentist can see me is in a week?  Read Full »

Dr. Muzaffer Hussain Parray

Dentist

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. I had gone through your question I can understand your concern. You need to use Hydrogen peroxidase 3% mouth wash. Make sure the concentration must not be more than that. You can also use antibiotics only after consulting your dentist. You can also provide further det...  Read Full »

I have pain in the left molar region and bleeding gums. Please help.

Query: Hi doctor, I have extreme pain in my left molar region, and I also have swollen gums that bleed while brushing. Please help.  Read Full »

Dr. Muzaffer Hussain Parray

Dentist

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. I had gone through your question. I can understand your concern about your bleeding gums and gingivitis. You need to keep brushing your teeth even though it bleeds. And you also need to get your teeth cleaned (oral prophylaxis).Probable causes:Plaque. Calculus. I suggest ...  Read Full »

Use of teeth whitening strips caused a burning sensation. Why?

Query: Hello doctor,I have braces. Sometimes, I use whitening strips. Recently, it has caused a sharp burning feeling. Do I have a cavity?  Read Full »

Dr. Muzaffer Hussain Parray

Dentist

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. I have seen the images (attachment removed to protect patient identity). You are not having any cavities. It is dentin hypersensitivity. It is the most common problem caused by the use of whitening strips, followed by gum irritation. The peroxide chemical in the whiten...  Read Full »

I have pain and swelling in the right molar area. What is the treatment for this?

Query: Hello doctor,Please refer the image attached which is of the right molar region. I am feeling a slight pain and swelling. What is it? Is it anything serious? What is the treatment for this? I am a non-smoker and a non-drinker.  Read Full »

Dr. Muzaffer Hussain Parray

Dentist

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. I have gone through your query and have seen the photos of your third molar region (attachment removed to protect patient identity). It is a condition called as pericoronitis, that is, inflammation of the pericoronal flap that gets raised when the thi...  Read Full »