Q. I am getting a lot of wax formation on both ears. How to control it?

Dr. Zubayeralam

I am getting a lot of wax formation on both ears. Even if I clean the ears on a daily basis, but still it comes up again. This problem has started around 10 years back. I am suffering from dandruff problem around the same time, along with excessive oil secretion in the head. Not sure if both the issues are connected.

I have taken several medications for the dandruff problem over the years. I tried Dr Batra's homeopathic, and currently using Lonax shampoo for the past two to three years, which provided some relief, but the problem still persists.

Dr. Zubayeralam

General Medicine Internal Medicine Pulmonology (Asthma Doctors)
#

I can understand your concern. According to your statement, you have been suffering from a lot of wax formation on both ears and dandruff problems with oily skin for the last ten years.

If your glands produce more earwax than normal, it may become hard and block the ears while cleaning your ears. You may push the wax deeper accidentally which can make a blockage. If any person cannot remove the wax properly, the ear canal may become fully blocked, causing impaired hearing with raising the rate of infections.

Some conditions may increase wax production like narrowing of the ear canal, hypothyroidism, using cotton swabs, hearing aids, eczema, psoriasis and for most importantly dandruff, etc.

For controlling excessive wax production, first of all, make the wax soften by oil, olive oil, glycerin or hydrogen peroxide with a dropper and keep them for softening for one or two days. After that, push warm water into the ear canal by a syringe for proper irrigation and then dry ear canal.

For your dandruff, you can use Ketoconazole medicated shampoo for three or four times a week. Gently rub your hairs and scalp with shampoo and keep the shampoo on your scalp for 20-25 minutes and then wash off.

| 

For softening or cleaning the ear wax, can I use Softwax ear drops 10 ml? And for the shampoo, can I use Keraglo AD Shampoo 75 ml (Ketoconazole 2 %)?

Dr. Zubayeralam

#

Yes, you can use Softwax ear drops 10 ml for softening and cleaning the ear wax. And again, yes, you can use Keraglo AD shampoo 75 ml (Ketoconazole 2%) for controlling dandruff but ensure to keep the shampoo solution on the scalp for 20-25 minutes for better results. You can also take Fluconazole (50 mg) once daily for 14 days along with your shampoo.

|