Q. Can we use hydrogen peroxide to clear wax in patient undergone mastoidectomies?

and medically reviewed by Dr. Nithila A
Published on Oct 03, 2019

My 84-year old stepfather had, apparently, two radical left-ear wall-up mastoidectomies in the late 50s and 60s. The second was done to fix the poor job done by the first at a county hospital for the indigent. Recently, caregivers said they were planing on using hydrogen peroxide in his left ear to clear much wax buildup. I learned of these surgeries from my step dad and from reviewing some ancient medical records. As his POA, I need to know of any dangers possible if hydrogen peroxide is administered in such an ear canal that, I understand, is permeable, and leads into his mastoid chamber.

Allergy Specialist Otolaryngology (E.N.T)
#

As I understand, your father had undergone two ear surgeries when he was in his 30s or so. He would have either undergone canal wall up or canal wall down mastoidectomies. Radical and modified radical come under CWD, and cortical comes under CWU mastoidectomies. Anyways, hydrogen peroxide can be applied in his ear for wax removal if,

1. The ear has been disease-free for many months now, implying, there has been no ear discharge of pus or liquid.

2. No ear perforation, which would have presented with discharge and pain.

3. No raw area in the ear canal.

The posterior canal is not permeable. In a wall down surgery after removing the wall, we close the defect with autologous cartilage or some material. Probably in his days, they may have left the cavity open. In either case, it gets lined by the skin, and that will be the case in your father also unless he has any disease or perforation.

It is okay to use hydrogen peroxide to clear the wax if it does not come out using probe and otoscope or an endoscope. If an endoscope is put in the ear and under endoscope guidance wax be removed, then that is the best and safest. I hope I have answered your query. Revert to me in case you want any clarification.

I have ear pain after removing ear wax. Is it serious?

Query: Hello doctor, I have been suffering from ear pain for the last two days and it has become really serious now. The entire right side of my face has gone numb and I am not able to hear properly in my right ear. I can listen to some hissing sound. I remember cleaning my ear with my fingers and tried to...  Read Full >>

Dr. Baidya Nath Majhi

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. From your symptoms and history of ear cleaning, it is suggestive of otitis externa with ear wax. Do not worry too much. It is a soft tissue infection of your ear canal most probably due to finger nail trauma. You need to take some medication and precautions and it ...  Read Full

Are ear infection and constant ear pain indicative of any eardrum problem?

Query: Hello doctor, The patient had three tympanoplasty surgeries in the past, the most recent being a decade ago. She has 10 % hearing in one ear where surgery was performed. Recently, the patient developed an ear infection. Black and white fungus detected in the air. ENT used a micro-suction device to ...  Read Full >>

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. I need some details. Are the CT scan films those are attached (attachment removed to protect patient identity) taken after the development of the latest problem or are those taken during the tympanometry surgery in the perioperative period? Do you have the details of...  Read Full

My gums have receded because of improper brushing. Kindly advice.

Query: Hello doctor,I am 18 years old, and I am worried because I feel that my gums have receded. It is because of my improper brushing routine, they are yellow, not wobbly, and gums are becoming a darker version of red, gums have receded from the front teeth.  Read Full >>

Dr. C Elanchezhian

Answer: Hello, Welcome to ilciniq.com. Your teeth are stained with yellow plaques, and the condition is called gingivitis. Try this home remedy, 1) Take one tablespoon of baking soda with two tablespoons of hydrogen peroxide to make a paste. 2) Rinse your mouth thoroughly with water after brushing wit...  Read Full