Q. Is there any alternate for Montair LC syrup for allergic cold in kids?

Dr. Rishika Randhwa

My daughter 5 years old and having allergic cold symptoms sneezing, irritation of eyes, nose, and wheezing in some occasions. Our pediatrician prescribed Montair-LC kid syrup 5 ml daily. Given for three months. I want to stop the medicine but the doctor suggested to give it on alternate days. If the medicine is stopped even for a day, she gets back the symptoms severely. Is there any alternative? How to taper the medicine?

Dr. Rishika Randhwa

General Practitioner Paediatrics
#

As your child might have airway reactive disease, it suggests she is having airway reactive problems or allergy to some substance. The best plan of action will be to give Montelukast sodium 4 mg tablet in the night time. Give Salbutamol syrup 2.5 ml once daily for five days. Buy a nebulizer and give nebulization with normal saline to Asthalin solution in a concentration of one to one ratio. Rest medication will be gradually tapered off.

Stop all syrups and rest of the medications. Gradually medicines will be reduced according to the symptoms.

Allergy.

Complete blood count.

Asthma, reactive airway disease.

Asthma

Allergens to be avoided like dust, pollens,
extreme hot and cold weather should be avoided.

| 

How long should Montelukast sodium to be given? Can Montair LC kid be stopped abruptly? We used to give Asthalin nebulizer when she has a cough? Is Salbutamol syrup necessary now? Since my only concern is to stop the Montair LC kid syrup.

Dr. Rishika Randhwa

General Practitioner Paediatrics
#

Salbutamol syrup is necessary just to supplement the effect of Montelukast sodium. It can be stopped after seven days. Montelukast sodium is usually given in kids for 15 days to one month and gradually stopped tapering off the dose. So your child will not be completely dependant on this drug.

|