Q. Is it normal for the gestational age to be a week more than the last menstrual period?

Dr. Sravanthi Nuthalapati

Hi, My last periods was 4 weeks 5 days back, and I discovered that I am pregnant when I checked using the home test. However when we went for a scan today the doc says the sac measures 1.75 cms and it is 5 weeks 5 days. Why is there a difference of one week when from last period which is 4 weeks 5 days to sac weeks which is 5 weeks 5 days?? Is it normal??

# Hello Momo, Welcome to Icliniq.
There is nothing to be worried about in this calculation as it's just the machine readings. you can just follow your actual dates for gestational age calculations.

As per your dates your gestational age is 4wks 5days.
You mentioned that Gestational sac diameter is 17mm, so according to the scan roughly the gestation age is around 5wks 5days.

Let me tell you Gestational sac diameter is a measurement to predict the gestational age in early pregnancy when the embryo or the fetal pole is not yet visible on Ultrasound. and there can be a deviation of + & - 1-2 weeks from the actual gestational age. So it's not that accurate.

Ideal gestational age on scan that correspond to the actual pregancy dating is the Crown rump length of the fetus. CRL is most accurate indicator of gestational age thorough out 1st 3 months if pregnancy, but it can be visualised properly post 6wks, when you can check for baby's heartbeat too.

So go for rescan after 10-14days, you will be able to check for the baby and it's measurements and also the heartbeat. And worry less, as everything is fine as of now.
Hope this answered your query. If you have any further doubts you can connect with me through chat.
Have a happy pregnancy.

- Routine Antenatal investigation.

- Tablet Folvite 5mg daily once till 3months.

Avoid sexual intercourse till first 3-4months.

| 

I just found out I am pregnant. Is there any risk of malformation from Minoxidil?

Query: Hi doctor,I am 28 year old female who is overweight. I have been using Minoxidil 5 % topical solution for alopecia areata on the scalp. I just found out my urine pregnancy test is positive. Now I have stopped using it. I might be in the early weeks of pregnancy. Should I be worried about the fetus? ...  Read Full »

How does severe endometriosis affect pregnancy?

Query: Hello doctor,My wife has severe endometriosis as well as several other pre-existing conditions. She was recently approved for Zoladex to treat the endometriosis. She is supposed to have her first injection in the next few days. Today we were in the emergency room. She was slightly tachycardic as wel...  Read Full »

My wife is pregnant. How to know in which week she is?

Query: Hi doctor, My wife's hCG result showed 8000 mIU/mL. I understood that she is pregnant. But, how to make make sure the current term of pregnancy? I do not know in which week she is now. Please guide.  Read Full »

Vitamin D and COVID-19
Did you know COVID-19 patients with vitamin D deficiency are twice as likely to have severe complications, including dea...  Read more»
The New 'Super-Spreader' Strain of Coronavirus
A new variant of SARS-CoV-2, the virus that causes COVID-19, is spreading fast in parts of the UK. Read how this new var...  Read more»
How to treat my mother's sigmoid colon ulcer?
Hi doctor, My mother, who is 45 years old, has ulcers in the sigmoid colon for the last 15 years. The problem got reduce...  Read more»