Q. My mom's health has deteriorated completely in a year. Please help.

Dr. Abhinav Gupta
Published on Aug 04, 2016 and last reviewed on: Oct 09, 2018

My mother is 56 years old. She has been a diabetic for the last 20 years. Her health has deteriorated completely in the last year. We found out through a biopsy that her kidney has been damaged. Her gallbladder was removed as it was infected and had a stone as big as a marble. The mouth and the upper layer of the pancreas had ulcer wounds for which she was treated with medication three months ago. She is having indigestion, acute stomach pain, swelling from feet to waist, frequent diarrhea and vomiting. She has been urinating only about 15 mL. Doctor has suggested starting dialysis as they are unable to bring her swollen feet under control. Her blood pressure is normal. I have uploaded her recent test results. She is currently taking 21 tablets a day. I basically need some suggestion.

Dr. Abhinav Gupta

Diabetology Nephrology
#

• She is having hypoalbuminemia (low level of albumin in the blood).
  • Also, her serum potassium is high. We have to treat serum potassium first with diuretics and Insulin infusion.
  • If the serum potassium does not come below 5.5, then she can go for dialysis.
  • I would like to know the kidney biopsy report.

Type 2 diabetes mellitus with chronic renal failure.

Serum potassium, serum creatinine regularly, TSH (thyroid stimulating hormone), lipid profile, ultrasound abdomen to see corticomedullary differentiation status of the kidneys.

1. Nephrotic syndrome.
2. Uremia.

Type 2 diabetes mellitus with diabetic nephropathy or chronic kidney failure (CKD).

My suggestion is to get the following treatment under doctor's supervision.
1. Albumin 20%
2. For hyperkalemia, diuretics, Insulin infusion, Calcium gluconate and potassium bind resin. If hyperkalemia does not improve, then go for dialysis immediately.

1. Salt intake should be less than 1 g per day.
2. Avoid foods rich in potassium.
3. Protein intake should be less than 0.6 g/kg body weight.

Revert back with the reports to a nephrologist online.---> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/nephrologist

Thanks for your prompt response. I have received some more test results. Sorry, it is not very clear as my mother is in abroad and sending from there. I hope you can give me some advice.

Dr. Abhinav Gupta

Diabetology Nephrology
#

• In previous reports serum potassium was 6.6. But, potassium in this report has decreased from 6.6 to 5. I do not think that she requires dialysis at present.
  • Give her injection Dytor (Torasemide) 2 ampule IV twice daily and I also request her treating doctor to add tablet Sevelamer 400 mg thrice daily. Consult her specialist doctor, discuss with him or her and take the medicine with consent.
  • Please tell me about her Hb levels.

Revert back with the additional details to a nephrologist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/nephrologist

I have just double checked the dates. The first attachment is her latest test results and the second attachments were taken before a month. So, her potassium has gone up from 5.5 to 6.6 in a month.

Dr. Abhinav Gupta

Diabetology Nephrology
#

• For serum potassium treat her with injection Dytor (Torasemide), Insulin infusion, Calcium gluconate and Kayexalate (Potassium bind resins - Sodium polystyrene sulfonate).
  • If after this treatment still her potassium levels remain high, then it is known as resistant hyperkalemia and the treatment of choice is only dialysis.

Complication of CKD.

Serum potassium and serum magnesium.

Hyperkalemia.

CKD.

Avoid foods rich in potassium.

For further doubts consult a nephrologist online.---> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/nephrologist

Is it fine to eat carbohydrates within 40 minutes after taking a GH shot?

Query: Hi doctor, Is it fine to eat carbohydrate and sugar within 40 minutes of growth hormone injection? Because, it is believed that after injecting growth hormone, a person should wait for at least 40 minutes to eat carbohydrate or sugar. Please explain.  Read Full »

Can Toradol alter creatinine levels?

Query: Hello doctor, If a person with chronic kidney disease with a creatinine of 1.9 and a GFR of 40 receives Toradol 60 mg IM as a single dose, can that lead to acute renal failure? How soon would failure occur after the administration of the medication?  Read Full »

My mother is suffering from chronic kidney disease. Can she avoid dialysis?

Query: Hi doctor, My mother is suffering from chronic kidney disease, and her creatinine level is 9.8 mg/dL. She has a history of diabetes for the past 25 years. She is taking Insulin from the beginning. She has hypertension for the past 35 years. Her hemoglobin is about 11.0 gm/dL. Her eyesight has been ...  Read Full »

Ask a Nephrologist Now