Q. Is there any medicine to lower BP other than diuretic?

Answered by
Dr. Muhammad Zohaib Siddiq
and medically reviewed by iCliniq medical review team.
This is a premium question & answer published on Jan 25, 2019

Hi doctor,

A 50-year-old type 2 diabetic male with HBP and dry eye disease and diabetic retinopathy. Medicines: 100 units of slow Insulin, Valsartan 320 mg, Amlodipine 10 mg, Escitalopram 10 mg, Xiidra eye drops. After years of high HbA1c of around 10.5 last year has averaged around 6.5. HBP runs around 150/105.

I have managed to radically improve glucose control over the last year but my blood pressure has remained the same. I have some retinopathy issues and my ophthalmologist and optometrist want my glucose to stay at or below 6.5 and my BP to be 120/70. I have tried a variety of diuretics like HCTZ, Spironolactone, and Chlorthalidone, each for about 3 to 4 months but I suffer from severe dehydration whenever I take a diuretic. My eye doctors also tell me that diuretics can worsen the inflammation associated with both my dry eye and retinopathy. To add insult to injury, when I was taking the diuretics, my BP was still running at about 150/105 with no real noticeable difference.

My question then is relatively simple. I need to lower my BP to a safer rate but my doctor has run out of ideas for a third BP medicine that is not a diuretic. Can you suggest something (no-diuretic) that I could suggest to him?



Welcome to icliniq.com.

Reduce salt intake. Avoid alcohol and caffeine and nicotine in any form. Take plenty of fruits and vegetables. Reduce weight, do daily exercise. Take sleep of good quantity and quality, at least six hours uninterrupted sleep at night and 1 to 2 hours at day time. If you snore, treat it. It is one of the main cause of resistant hypertension.

Then, you may take beta blocker as next addition such as Metoprolol succinate 50 to 100 mg per day, Atenolol 50 to 100 mg per day or Nebivolol 2.5 to 10 mg per day. Then you may add Hydralazine 25 mg thrice a day to 75 mg thrice a day. Also, the option is for alpha blockers such as Prazosin, Terazosin, and Doxazocin. Also other options. Consult your primary doctor with these ideas. If still BP is not controlled, follow-up with me.

Was this answer helpful?


Related Questions:
My mom's health has deteriorated completely in a year. Please help.

Type 2 diabetes mellitus with chronic renal failure ... Type 2 diabetes mellitus with diabetic nephropathy or chronic kidney failure (C...   Read full

My heart was fine 12 months ago. Suddenly, I developed too many problems. Why?

.. all your concerns. From what you mentioned, the medications that you take for the heart failure like the diuretics may be responsible for the great majority of your symptoms like the dry eyes, the ear problem, sore joints. So, I suggest that you t...   Read full

Why is there ankle edema even after delivery in a heart failure patient?

.. BNP (B-type natriuretic peptide) levels were high, it is probably due to heart failure as you said. For the ankle edema, she needs to be given diuretics (drugs which decrease waterlogging) in the body and fluid restriction should be adhered to. Da...   Read full


This is a sponsored Ad. icliniq or icliniq doctors do not endorse the content in the Ad.

Also Read Answers From:

Comprehensive Medical Second Opinion.Submit your Case

Also Read

COVID-19 Vaccines
A COVID-19 vaccine provides acquired immunity against the new Coronavirus. Read the article to know everything about the...  Read more»
The Perils of Social Media Addiction
Social media addiction affects both physical and mental health. Read this article to know more.  Read more»
COVID-19 - Second Wave
The second wave of COVID-19 is a red flag. Read more to know about the precautionary measures.  Read more»

Ask your health query to a doctor online?

Ask a Cardiologist Now

* guaranteed answer within 4 hours.

Disclaimer: No content published on this website is intended to be a substitute for professional medical diagnosis, advice or treatment by a trained physician. Seek advice from your physician or other qualified healthcare providers with questions you may have regarding your symptoms and medical condition for a complete medical diagnosis. Do not delay or disregard seeking professional medical advice because of something you have read on this website.