Q. I have a painless red bump on my scrotum. What could be the cause?

I have a painless red bump on my scrotum. I am uploading some pictures. Kindly let me know what this could be.

Do you have a question on Hyperkeratosis or Sebaceous Cyst?

Ask a Doctor Now

MBBS., DNB (DERMATOLOGY,LEPROLOGY& VENEREOLOGY
Cosmetology Dermatology Venereology

I have read your query and examined your picture (attachment removed to protect patient identity).

From your description and picture, it seems like you have steatocystoma multiplex (a type of sebaceous cyst) or molluscum contagiosum. The pictures do not give me an exact idea because a sebaceous cyst is soft in consistency whereas molluscum is hard.

If it is a sebaceous cyst, you should get it removed. A surgical excision by needling or radio frequency cautery is the treatment of choice.

Molluscum contagiosum is caused by a virus and this lesion presents with a central umbilication, a depression similar to that of the navel. A white body is present in the bump. It is a contagious and sexually transmitted infection which can spread and form new lesions. The treatment plan will be needling to extrude the material inside and TCA cautery.

You will need to rule out immunosuppression by doing certain tests like HBsAg, anti-HCV, VDRL, HIV , and blood sugar.

For more information consult a dermatologist online --> https://icliniq.com./ask-a-doctor-online/dermatologist

Sorry about the image quality. I am attaching a better one. It is soft and feels like it is blood-filled. But, when I scrape it, there is no blood.

Cosmetology Dermatology Venereology

I have read your query and examined your picture (attachment removed to protect patient identity).

• Considering your description of the texture, it could be an angiokeratoma of Mibelli. Angiokeratomas are typically asymptomatic, 2 to 5 mm, bluish red papules with a scaly surface, located on the scrotum.
  • Usually, they do not require any treatment. If required, then locally destructive methods including radiofrequency cautery, excision, cryotherapy, or laser therapy may be used.
  • In your case, since you are young and have a solitary lesion it created the doubt of a sebaceous cyst or molluscum. But the history of a soft lesion which feels like blood, allows me to arrive at angiokeratoma as the diagnosis. It can be confirmed by skin biopsy.

Will it spread?

Cosmetology Dermatology Venereology

• It will not spread, but it is good to get it removed, by one of the methods I have mentioned earlier. It is not an infectious disease. It is neither an STD nor a contagious disease.
  • By radiofrequency cautery, it can be removed in a single sitting. In this procedure, the base is anesthetized and the lesion is cut off from the base, leaving a small mark which rarely bleeds. It will heal well after applying antibiotics locally.

These two small bumps suddenly turned big. Is this a sebaceous cyst?
Query: Hello doctor,I spoke to a dermatologist on here. I had two small bumps about 2 to 3 mm in size ever since I was younger and I am confident it is not a sexually transmitted disease. They were on the tip of the foreskin of the penis. Just two days ago, they started getting big. It never bothered me be...  Read Full »
Dr. Shahil Khant
Urologist

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. I have seen the images sent by you (attachment removed to protect patient identity). Do you have pain or fever? Yes, it definitely looks like a sebaceous cyst. You should take antibiotics as prescribed. When infection and inflammation subsides you will require gett...  Read Full »

I have itchy pimples near genitals that are spreading all over the body. Why?
Query: Hello doctor, I am having some skin infection from last six years and I neglected it. But recently it is getting hard with it. Some pimples are coming near my genitals and they are so itchy. I think it is spreading all over the body since I am getting some rashes at some parts of my body. Please he...  Read Full »

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. I have seen your query and concern and have examined your picture (attachment removed to protect patient identity). With your descriptions and given picture, it seems you have scrotum steatocystoma multiplex. It is a type of sebaceous cyst. They are benign. Do not have ...  Read Full »

Trending

Trending

Ask a Doctor Now