Q. Is laser hair removal safe for someone with acne?

Dr. Ashwini V Swamy
Published on Jan 09, 2018 and last reviewed on: Sep 14, 2019

I am a 21-year-old man. I would like to ask your opinion about laser hair removal. I have read a lot in the last days and almost everywhere it is said that it is not bad for your health and body and one of the best ways to deal with hair. I am thinking about doing laser removal of hairs in private parts and under shoulders. I had a problem with acne when I was teen on my face and back (not normal acne but a big one).

Now I am almost healed but some years ago when I tried wax hair removal under shoulders and on the chest, I started having acne there also. So now I am a little scared to try it. What is your opinion and is it actually harmless?

Dr. Ashwini V Swamy

Dermatology Venereology
#

The laser is a safe, painless and permanent method to get rid of unwanted hairs. It is called laser hair reduction to be more precise.

Let me explain to you how this laser works:

• When the laser is passed through the skin, it targets melanocyte (pigment-producing cell) in the hair follicles.
  • It reduces the growth of hair follicles gradually but targets only pigmented hairs. If the hair has turned grey, the laser will not work.
  • You will require at least four sittings to get rid of your unwanted hairs. Since you are thinking of your shoulders and private part hair, you will have better results. Because these hairs are controlled by hormones to the least. Whereas facial hairs in a female are very stubborn for the laser. They may take eight sittings as they have huge hormonal influence.
  • I mentioned laser hair reduction instead of removal because laser not only removes the hair, but also it makes the hair thin and lightly pigmented eventually. So that it is not seen at all like fine hairs over baby's face.
  • Waxing takes out the hair from root each time, irritating follicles that aggravates acne, but the laser does not have any effect on acne.
  • There are two types of lasers available for hair reduction, one is diode laser - painless and very effective. The second one is IPL laser, very minimal pain, equally effective. I personally prefer diode laser after using both for my patients.
  • Laser hair reduction process is not harmful to the body because it is a targeted treatment and it does not harm other cells of your body.
  • The laser may seem little costly but if you compare the benefits of lasers versus waxing/shaving, I feel this procedure is worth the money you are paying because it is permanent hair reduction.

For more information consult a dermatologist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/dermatologist

Does laser surgery cause dry eyes?

Query: Hello doctor, I had laser surgery on both my eyes 15 years back, and it was not very successful. My eye sight power came back along with the cylindrical power. My power has been stable for the last 10 years. Now my vision has become 6/4. But, I found out that I have dry eyes ever since. If I use ...  Read Full >>

Rheumatologist

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. I went through your query. Dry eye syndrome also called as sicca syndrome is due to the inability of the tear glands to produce enough tears. It is sometimes associated with dry mouth and positive antibodies like anti-Ro and anti-La, in which case, it is called Sjogr...  Read Full

Hirsutism - a Cosmetic Challenge

Article Overview: This article discusses the causes and management of hirsutism. Read Article

Endocrinologist

Hirsutism is the presence of excessive hair in androgenic dependent areas of the female body. The condition is a marker for androgen excess, although many women have no detectable hormone abnormalities. In addition to androgens secreted into the circulation by the adrenal glands and ovaries, periphe...  Read Article