Q. Does laser surgery cause dry eyes?

Published on Aug 21, 2017

I had laser surgery on both my eyes 15 years back, and it was not very successful. My eye sight power came back along with the cylindrical power. My power has been stable for the last 10 years. Now my vision has become 6/4. But, I found out that I have dry eyes ever since. If I use a lubricant, there is some improvement but, by morning I am unable to open my eyes. Also, my eyes are red often. Is it due to my increased screen viewing? What can I do to completely cure my dry eyes?

General Medicine Internal Medicine Rheumatology
#

I went through your query.

• Dry eye syndrome also called as sicca syndrome is due to the inability of the tear glands to produce enough tears. It is sometimes associated with dry mouth and positive antibodies like anti-Ro and anti-La, in which case, it is called Sjogren's syndrome.
  • You need to go for Ro and La antibody test and Schirmer's test by an ophthalmologist and sialometry tests (a non-invasive test to measure how much saliva you produce). If the tests are normal, everything is fine and the dry eye state is temporary. If the tests are positive, you will need to be treated for Sjogren's syndrome.

For more information consult an internal medicine physician online --> https://icliniq.com./ask-a-doctor-online/internal-medicine-physician

Can it be due to the laser surgery? I do not have a dry mouth. Is there any treatment for dry eyes? Do I need to go for these tests?

#

• Yes, one of the adverse effects of the laser surgery is dry eyes. This is due to the destruction of the nerves in the cornea. So, the tear glands do not sense the need for lubrication. It sometimes resolves spontaneously over a period of months to years.
  • You can use artificial tears as and when needed.
  • Get a Schirmer's test done to confirm dry eye syndrome and its severity.

Is it alright to have sex three days after a laser eye surgery?

Query: Hello doctor, I had a pan-retinal photocoagulation laser (PRP laser) in my retina about three or four days ago. Can I have sexual intercourse after this treatment or is it safer to wait?  Read Full >>

Dr. Vaibhev Mittal
Eye Care Ophthalmologist

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. You can involve in sexual activities. This particular laser treatment has no relation with intercourse. I hope this helps. Regards. For further queries consult an eye care ophthalmologist online --> https://icliniq.com./ask-a-doctor-online/eye-care-ophthalmologis...  Read Full

Will masturbating on next day of laser eye surgery cause any side-effect?

Query: Hello doctor, My brother had an eye trauma. So, he had laser surgery for retina after two months of trauma. But he masturbated the next day of laser surgery (after 19 hours). Will that cause any problem to his retina or retinal nerve? Will it increase intraocular pressure? Please give a detailed an...  Read Full >>

Dr. Vaibhev Mittal
Eye Care Ophthalmologist

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. Masturbation will not have any adverse effect on laser treatment of retina or retina. There may be a minimal increase of intraocular pressure with masturbation but that must be non-significant. Kindly share the file to guide you better.  Read Full