Q. Does laser surgery cause dry eyes?

I had laser surgery on both my eyes 15 years back, and it was not very successful. My eye sight power came back along with the cylindrical power. My power has been stable for the last 10 years. Now my vision has become 6/4. But, I found out that I have dry eyes ever since. If I use a lubricant, there is some improvement but, by morning I am unable to open my eyes. Also, my eyes are red often. Is it due to my increased screen viewing? What can I do to completely cure my dry eyes?

#

I went through your query.

• Dry eye syndrome also called as sicca syndrome is due to the inability of the tear glands to produce enough tears. It is sometimes associated with dry mouth and positive antibodies like anti-Ro and anti-La, in which case, it is called Sjogren's syndrome.
  • You need to go for Ro and La antibody test and Schirmer's test by an ophthalmologist and sialometry tests (a non-invasive test to measure how much saliva you produce). If the tests are normal, everything is fine and the dry eye state is temporary. If the tests are positive, you will need to be treated for Sjogren's syndrome.

For more information consult an internal medicine physician online --> https://icliniq.com./ask-a-doctor-online/internal-medicine-physician

Can it be due to the laser surgery? I do not have a dry mouth. Is there any treatment for dry eyes? Do I need to go for these tests?

#

• Yes, one of the adverse effects of the laser surgery is dry eyes. This is due to the destruction of the nerves in the cornea. So, the tear glands do not sense the need for lubrication. It sometimes resolves spontaneously over a period of months to years.
  • You can use artificial tears as and when needed.
  • Get a Schirmer's test done to confirm dry eye syndrome and its severity.

|