Q. Can a high degree hypermetropia treated by surgery?

Dr. Skandha Harshita
and medically reviewed by Dr. Nithila A

I am concerned about my eye health I have hypermetropia of very high degree. Can it be corrected with surgery? I am wearing high power specs for long would it have affected my eye health? Please help.

Do you have a question on Hypermetropia or Lasik?

Ask a Doctor Now

Dr. Skandha Harshita

MBBS., MS
Ophthalmology (Eye Care)

I could understand that you wanted to get an insight of the surgical options for correction of hypermetropia. Yes, there are many surgical options.All of them require these basic parameters like,

1. Central corneal thickness.

2. Endothelial cell count.

3. Anterior chamber depth.

4. Fundus view.

5. Corneal topography.

After evaluating these parameters, if these are in the acceptable range, I would suggest you go through a surgical procedure. The best method I recommend to my patients these days is SMILE (small incision lenticule extraction). I see patients who underwent smile, have a faster recovery , more spectacle independent and proper long-term maintenance of quality vision than other procedures like LASIK ( laser assisted in situ keratomileusis), epi-LASIK, and ICl (implantable contact lens). I can more provide a more detailed opinion reg the surgical options if I can see your eye examination reports spectacle power report etc. I hope this helps.

My eye pressure is slightly above average, does it mean glaucoma?
Query: Hello doctor,I have a few questions about glaucoma. I recently had my yearly eye check-up, and my doctor told me that my eye pressure is slightly above average. I know that having a high eye pressure can cause glaucoma, and it leads to permanent blindness. I do not have any pain in the eye, and also...  Read Full >>
Dr. Asif Manzoor
Eye Care Ophthalmologist

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. Over the years, glaucoma definition has changed. Glaucoma is damage to the optic nerve with visual field defects, and intraocular pressure (IOP) is one of the risk factors. Only with high IOP, we cannot label that someone has glaucoma. Because some people have IOP mo...  Read Full

Can I go for LASIK with high astigmatism?
Query: Hello doctor, I have -2.5 cylindrical in the right and -4 in the left eye and SPH is 4.75 in the right and 5 in the left eye. Can I go for LASIK? Will it be successful as I have high astigmatism?  Read Full >>
Dr. Asif Manzoor
Eye Care Ophthalmologist

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. The most important thing is to rule out keratoconus. Many corneal scan machines have special softwares to rule out KC With the information you sent in the photos (attachment removed to protect patient identity); I can see one suspicious thing that is Kmax 47.3. We need t...  Read Full

Can I get LASIK surgery done while on acne treatment?
Query: Hi doctor, I have scheduled for LASIK eye surgery this week. I am currently using Acticlate tablets, Onexton and Epiduo (topical gel) for acne, which was prescribed by my dermatologist. Will there be any issues or side effects with LASIK surgery? I checked with my eye doctor and he said no problems...  Read Full >>
Dr. Shikha
Eye Care Ophthalmologist

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. You can use all of them. Usually, the side effect of these drugs includes a slight increase in risk of dryness of the eyes. Along with LASIK, there is slightly more increased risk. As you have informed your doctor, I think that it will be taken care of postoperatively...  Read Full

Ask a Doctor Now