Q. Is it fine to have hyperpigmentation in penis?

Dr. Dhepe Snehal Laul
and medically reviewed by Dr. K Shobana

I have hyperpigmentation in some parts of my penis. I do not have any other symptoms. One part of my glans is lighter and the surrounding area is dark. I do not have any medical history associated with it.

#

I do not see any attached photograph. Please send a picture of the affected area to help you. I need to see the affected area to assess the condition and to suggest appropriate diagnosis and treatment.

I have sent the photograph.

#

You have normal melanosis or hyperpigmentation (attachment removed to protect patient identity). Please mention whether you have a past history of fungal infection and postinflammatory hyperpigmentation mark. Every black lesion is not melanoma and it is normal.

I do not have any history of infection in the past.

#

The lesions are just penile melanosis. It is a harmless benign condition. Do not be scared. It is only of cosmetic concern. There are white patches also. Please mention whether you have a history of contact with a disinfectant, used any harsh soaps, and any other white or black patches in the body. You can use a mild cleanser like Episoft cleanser (Cetearyl alcohol with Butylene glycol) or Cetaphil cleanser (Cetyl alcohol with Butylparaben) daily to wash your genitals. Having a dark color is normal and you can use Kojivit cream (Kojic acid dipalmitate) over the dark spots for twenty days.

|