Q. What are the reasons for hypoglycemia?

Dr. Sandeep V Nair
Published on Jul 16, 2016

My mother has been suffering from diabetes for three years. She is 61 years old and weighs 40 kg. She was on Gemer-1. Early morning around 5 AM, she often complains of excessive sweating and weakness. Sweating stops after taking tea, biscuit or sugar. She has stopped taking medication for the last 15 days. Due to personal loss, she has been undergoing stress and tension. Please suggest the required medical tests that she should undergo. Thank you.

Dr. Sandeep V Nair

Diabetology General Medicine Internal Medicine
#

• Hypoglycemic attacks are episodes of low blood sugar values occurring in blood. Due to this she is having excessive sweating and weakness. Taking a sweet item is the correct treatment for such an attack.
  • The reason for such attacks may be because of many as follows:
  1. Skipping meals.
  2. Incorrect medicine dose.
  3. Kidney problems.
  4. Liver disease.
  5. Inappropriate exertion.
  6. Stress.
  • So please do the following tests for her. Serum creatinine, FBS - fasting blood sugar, PPBS - postprandial blood sugar, SGOT (serum glutamic oxaloacetic transaminase) and SGPT (serum glutamic pyruvic transaminase). You can either revert back with the results or can consult a physician.

Revert back with the reports to a diabetologist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/diabetologist

She underwent all tests except FBS. Following are the results of the tests: PPBS 317mg/dL, serum creatinine 0.67 mg/dL, SGOT 12.4 and SGPT 14.8. She is not on medication from last 15 days. What could be the reason for hypoglycemia attacks when she is not taking any medicine?

Dr. Sandeep V Nair

#

• All the reports look fine except for the PPBS. It is very rare to have hypoglycemia with such high PPBS values.
  • Probable reasons may be intentional fasting or skipping meals or not taking tablets regularly.
  • The only way to prove it is hypoglycemia is to do glucometer testing during such episodes.
  • I suggest tablet Metformin 500 mg tablets to be taken twice daily. Consult her specialist doctor, discuss with him or her and take the medicine with consent.
  • Check blood sugars FBS and PPBS after two weeks and revert back.

Revert back after two weeks to a diabetologist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/diabetologist

What is the recommended dose of Metformin for my sugar levels?

Query: Hi doctor, My age is 33 and weight is 80 kg. My glycosylated fasting sugar 106 and postprandial is 115. Will Metformin help me to lose weight? Which medicine is better, either Metformin or Metformin extended release? How much dosage should I take?  Read Full »

What adverse effects would low random blood sugar level have in a heart patient?

Query: Hello doctor, My mother, aged 64, has ischemic cardiomyopathy. Her angina and breathlessness are reduced, and they only occur when she exerts herself. But, she is feeling nauseous and dizzy even though she takes food every two hours. Her random blood sugar test is done, and the values are between...  Read Full »

Diabetes Mellitus and Oral Health

Article Overview: This article emphasizes the impact of diabetes mellitus on oral health problems and its management. Read Article

Diabetes mellitus is a metabolic disorder which affects the uptake and use of glucose by the human body. As a result, the glucose level in the blood rises beyond normal which has an overall impact on the general health and oral cavity. Types Of Diabetes Insulin-dependent diabetes mellitus: It oc...  Read Article

Ask a Diabetologist Now