Q. Can I use Metformin for diabetes prevention and weight loss?

Dr. Akshay Upadhyay
Published on Oct 14, 2017

I read over the internet that tablet Metformin helps decrease the weight and prevents the onset of diabetes. Both my parents are diabetics and I weigh 70 kg. Hence, I want to use Metformin for diabetes prevention and weight loss. Yesterday, I took 500 mg and I do not feel any problems or side effects. I want to take it for another six months. Please guide me well in this.

Dr. Akshay Upadhyay

#

• I suggest you do not take the tablet if you are not clinically diagnosed as diabetic as it could lead to serious problems. I would strongly advise you to not to take it anymore.
  • To prevent diabetes, one has to change the lifestyle like diet, and have to do exercise or yoga on a regular basis.
  • You should avoid junk food, oily and spicy food, include vegetables and fruits in your diet.
  • If you want, you can get some tests done to check if you are diabetic or not which I can write down.
  • For weight loss, the best method is diet control and physical activities.
  • Investigations to be done: 
  1. Sugar fasting.
  2. Sugar postprandial.
  3. Complete blood count.

Hope this information was helpful.

For further queries consult an internal medicine physician online --> https://icliniq.com./ask-a-doctor-online/internal-medicine-physician

But, I read that Metformin is clinically proven to help in diabetes prevention and aids in weight loss. It is also a low hypoglycemic agent. So, just 500 mg should not be a problem. Am I right? I am hoping for an expert answer from you.

Dr. Akshay Upadhyay

#

• I would say that yes, Metformin is helpful in diabetic patients, but weight loss is not the main action of the medicine, but a side effect of the drug, which in the long-term may sometimes also lead to anorexia.
  • We are currently not using it for the prevention of diabetes. It is mainly used for diabetics only because in both the conditions if it is not taken with proper nutrition and advice, it may lead to hypoglycemia and also peripheral neuropathy as it decreases the level of vitamin B12.
  • So, I stand by what I said earlier. Do not take the drug without proper investigations.

Hope this information was helpful.

For more information consult an internal medicine physician online --> https://icliniq.com./ask-a-doctor-online/internal-medicine-physician

Diabetes and Eyes

Article Overview: Diabetes is one of the leading cause for permanent blindness. It is very essential for us to know to avoid the complications of diabetes. Micro-vascular complications will involve eyes, kidneys and nerves in common. But early detection and prevention will avoid permanent disability. Read Article

Dr. Pratap Vgm
Diabetologist

"EYES are the most beautiful organs created by nature which enables us to have vision. It is very important factor for individuals to be independent in their life" Diabetes is a metabolic syndrome entity which is characterized by hyperglycemia, high blood pressure and dyslipedemia. It causes variou...  Read Article

Is it necessary to take medicines for tricuspid regurgitation and aortic stenosis separately?

Query: Hello doctor,My wife aged 72, weight 65 kg, is a diabetic type 2 for the past six years, hypertensive for the past two years, is suffering from moderate tricuspid regurgitation, aortic valve sclerosis, and pulmonary hypertension for the past two years. Her systolic function is good and there is no d...  Read Full >>

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. On the face of diabetes and hypertension with raised cholesterol and LDL, I suggest you add tablet Rosuvas (Rosuvastatin) one tablet daily after dinner. Consult your doctor. I think the dose of anti-diabetes medicine could be adjusted to reduce his blood sugar level to ...  Read Full

My mom feels dizzy and weak with diabetes medicine. What to do?

Query: Hi doctor, My mother is 53 years old. She is a diabetic and under medication. Her list of medications is as follows: For diabetes, Glyciphage SR 1 gm (1-0-1) and Volibo 0.2 (0-1-0). For cholesterol, Stator 10 (0-0-1) and for stamina, Stamina-OD (1-0-0). Under medication, her sugar levels before ...  Read Full >>

Dr. Sandeep V Nair
Diabetologist

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. As I can gather from the details given, your mother is having uncontrolled blood sugar value. The possible reasons might be lack of exercise and poor diet control. The target blood sugar values that your mother should attain are between 100 and 130 before food and betwee...  Read Full