Q. My TSH is 6. 58. Can I keep my TSH under control without medications?

This is a premium question & answer published on Jul 30, 2017 and last reviewed on: Oct 09, 2018

I am a 26 year old female, who is trying to conceive. Previously, I was not diagnosed with hypothyroidism. But recently, my gynecologist prescribed Thyronorm 50 mcg as my TSH is 6.58. I had concerns with taking a long-term medication. I have read that thyroid medication is to be taken lifelong. However, my doctor said she would stop the medication after conception and delivery if my thyroid is normal. Is this true? Can I really stop the medications?

#

• See, thyroid medications are required lifelong if your thyroid remains persistently high. That we can decide later.
  • At this point of time, you need to take medicine to get your TSH (thyroid-stimulating hormone) level below the range of 2.5. Pregnancy needs high control of thyroid.
  • So my opinion, it is to go along with medicine, and we can discuss you need further medicines or not based on your post-delivery thyroid report.

I hope it helps you. If you have any further query, please ask me.

For more information consult an internal medicine physician online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/internal-medicine-physician

Thanks for your reply. I am scared to take medicines lifelong, and I want to know if I can do something alternatively to keep my thyroid under control without medication.

#

• Trust your doctors. At this point in time, there are no alternative ways to get thyroid under control. You need medicines.

For further queries consult an internal medicine physician online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/internal-medicine-physician

|