Q. Why did I get bleeding after taking I-pill?

Dr. Deepti Kurmi

I had taken a pill and got bleeding. I thought it was periods because I had little cramps but that bleeding was so light and it lasted for three to four days. After that I had protected sex two weeks back but to be complete sure I took another pill two days later and my periods was due a few days back and now I am not having any bleeding. That bleeding was my periods or what? And when next I am going to have my periods?

#

I-pill is emergency contraception. It should be taken not more than once or twice in a year. It has many serious side effects. Secondly, you took I-pill twice in one month would definitely create some hormonal imbalance which might take a couple of weeks to settle. It is difficult to tell whether earlier was your normal menses or withdrawal bleeding. Chances of pregnancy cannot be excluded without a blood test, you need to do a blood test to rule out pregnancy.

I have done the home pregnancy test a few days back and it was negative. So still I need to get the blood test done?

#

Urine pregnancy test can be false negative sometimes. I would suggest to do serum beta hCG and check. If this is negative, so absolutely no chance of pregnancy and you can take medicine for withdrawal bleeding.

| 

What is withdrawal bleeding?

Query: Hello doctor, Emergency contraception is 95% effective means is there some chance of getting pregnant? What more precautions could be taken during sex so that there will be full surety about it? After taking it, will the periods be painful? In what way will it alter periods? Will it change the numb...  Read Full »

My periods have been slightly irregular. What may be the reason?

Query: Hi doctor, I am 24 year old and I had an ultrasound for the first time today. My periods have been slightly irregular for last few months and hence I went for a checkup. I am attaching my scan reports for your reference. Kindly guide me. Thank you.  Read Full »

After I-pill, I had a flow but it was not heavy. What is the chance of pregnancy?

Query: Hello doctor, I need an urgent help. I was on my fifth day of my periods and I made out with my partner. I had my pants and my panty on and he had his penis out. He ejaculated on my pant, and I saw that some portion of my panty was wet as well. And I felt wet in the skin of the lower portion of abd...  Read Full »

Vitamin D and COVID-19
Did you know COVID-19 patients with vitamin D deficiency are twice as likely to have severe complications, including dea...  Read more»
The New 'Super-Spreader' Strain of Coronavirus
A new variant of SARS-CoV-2, the virus that causes COVID-19, is spreading fast in parts of the UK. Read how this new var...  Read more»
How to treat my mother's sigmoid colon ulcer?
Hi doctor, My mother, who is 45 years old, has ulcers in the sigmoid colon for the last 15 years. The problem got reduce...  Read more»