Q. Can Cotaryl cream be used to cure dry and flaky skin (Ichthyosis)?

Dr. Kalpana Pathak
Published on Oct 15, 2014 and last reviewed on: Oct 03, 2019

Hi Doctor, I am suffering a disease called Ichthyosis. It is genetically causing dry skin problem and fish like scales.

Kindly help me with a solution for this.

Dr. Kalpana Pathak

Dermatology HIV/AIDS Specialist Venereology
#

Hi, Thanks for writing to us.Ichthyosis as you rightly mentioned is a genetic condition leading to excessively dry and flaky skin.

There is no cure for this condition, but it can be controlled by using right medications and thus bringing the normal texture back.

For the same, follow these suggestions:

• Use a mild soap like cetaphil soap. Use lukewarm water to bathe and add liquid paraffin (2 caps full) in the water. After having the bath, use a cotton wash cloth to slightly rub off the scales. This will dislodge the scales. Always pat your skin to make it dry.
  • Use a thick emollient after bathing like cetaphil dam.
  • Mix Cetaphil dam cream and Cotaryl cream in equal amounts and apply all over the body.
  • Apply Cotaryl cream over the affected area at night.
  • And whenever you feel the need of moisturiser, just use plain cetaphil dam.
  • Take diet rich in omega fatty acids such as fish, nuts, flax seeds and etc.
  • Once in a week use an oat meal scrub. Mix powdered oats, cream and milk and apply it over body and scrub it off.

Follow all these above steps regularly and you will be sure notice a positive change.

Consult a dermatologist online for further help --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/dermatologist

Skin Care Tips to Avoid Pimples

Article Overview: Acne or pimples can be esthetically disturbing. Read the article to know the skin care routine and preventive measures that dermatologist advice for acne. Read Article

Dr. Vinay Kumar

What Is Acne Vulgaris? Acne vulgaris is the medical name for pimples. Pimples or acne is a common skin condition of adolescents and teenagers due to blockage of pores of oil producing glands which results in blackheads, bumps and nodules on the skin of face, upper arms, and trunk. The severity, du...  Read Article

How to cope with exam failure?

Query: Hello doctor, I failed around five times in CA final exam. My next exam is in a month time. I have not studied yet because I am so much depressed and demotivated. I am scared of failing this time also. My future is dark. Mentally, I am very much stressed which leads to the symptoms of high blood ...  Read Full >>

Dr. Aditya Gupta

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. Success and failure are part of life, but we should keep trying. When we are down only way is up. I know it is easier said than done but you have to keep trying, and persistence is the only key to success. Here are a few steps that can help you. Do meditation daily for...  Read Full

Article Overview: This article discusses a few tips to manage and protect your skin during winter. Read Article

Dr. Anagha Kumar

Skin, the largest and the most attractive organ of our body faces a lot of challenges during winters. Cold, dry winters tend to steal the moisture from your skin making it appear flaky, dry and dull. There are also a few diseases like psoriasis and atopic dermatitis that have an increased incidence ...  Read Article