Idiopathic Thrombocytopenic Purpura

Will ATT treatment for TB cause purpura and bleeding from nose?

Query: Hi doctor, My mom is 57 years old. She was diagnosed with TB disease two months back through exclusion as her tests were negative but she had enlarged lymph nodes in the chest, low fever, night sweats, etc. Biopsy showed negative for lymphoma and sarcoma. She started ATT medicine and after 10 day...  Read Full »

Answer: Hello, Welcome to the icliniq.com. According to your history ITP (idiopathic thrombocytopenic purpura), might comes under suspicion. But you are not having ITP, as bone marrow is normal and megakaryocyte not showing any sign of ITP. Check hypersplenism by USG (ultrasound)abdomen investigation. S...  Read Full »

What is ITP?

Query: Hi doctor, My nephew has been unwell since few days. Since two weeks, he has small blood patches on thigh, calves and ankles. Petechial rash and bruising are also present. The doctors have diagnosed him with ITP (idiopathic thrombocytopenic purpura). I am writing to you to get a second opinion. He ...  Read Full »

Dr. Geetha Priyadarsini Kamminana

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. Isolated low platelet count with normal hemoglobin and CBC (complete blood count) usually is the key laboratory finding for ITP (idiopathic thrombocytopenic purpura) as there in this case. It is the diagnosis of exclusion however. I need few more details about his medica...  Read Full »

What to do for ITP in a 2.5 year old girl?

Query: Hello doctor, My daughter is 2.5 years old. She is diagnosed with ITP last month. Initially, she had minor itching near armpits but now she is fine. She is eating well, and her weight is constantly 12.5 kg for the last one month. She had a little fever with cough and cold three days back, but now t...  Read Full »

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. I read her reports. (attachment removed to protect patient identity). The latest report shows the normal platelet Count. So no need to worry regarding any bleeding. The total WBC (white blood corpuscles) count is high, but it could be due to an infection of the uppe...  Read Full »

What is causing these red dots all over child's body?

Query: Hello doctor, I have a 2 year old daughter. She is breaking out with red dots all over her body. They do not look like measles or chicken pox. She weighs 30 pounds and has no other symptoms. I have tried giving her a child allergy medication because I thought she might have developed an allergy to ...  Read Full »

Dr. Babu Lal Meena

Child Health Specialist, Family Physician, General Practitioner, Medical Gastroenterologist, Paediatrician

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. I need more information for a quality answer. The onset of symptoms, duration? any itching? associated fever or weight loss? history of jaundice? any relevant family history? The site of red spots? is it distributed to a specific area? because it can indicate et...  Read Full »

Is it normal to have constantly reducing platelet count?

Query: Hello doctor, My weight is 58 kg, height 5'3". Female, age 43. My platelet count five months back was 165, next month it was 140 and now it is 120. My liver function is normal and having thyroid. Taking Eltroxin 50 mg. Please advise.  Read Full »

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. I have reviewed your reports (attachment removed to protect patient identity) and here is my advise. Your platelet count is constantly reducing according to provided history. Kindly mention if you are having any clinical infection history like dengue, malaria, etc. bec...  Read Full »

Is there anything of concern in my husband's blood test?

Query: Hello doctor, My husband is 27 years old. He had blood tests before nine months and the report is as follows: WBC 5800, RBC 5400, Hb 16.6, HCT 47, lymphocyte 46.8%, neutrophils 39.2%, monocytes 8.1%, eosinophils 5.3, platelet 186000, basophils 0.6%, ALT 0.8 and LIC 0.2. Again, he had a blood test la...  Read Full »

Dr. Naresh Kumar Monigari

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. I had gone through all the details posted. For sore throat, I suggest Listerine mouthwash gargles twice daily and combination of Montelukast and Fexofenidine once daily in the morning for three days. Also avoid cool water, cool drinks, alcohol and smoking if he has a ...  Read Full »

My daughter's hemoglobin and iron levels are low. Is it due to ITP?

Query: Hello doctor,My 21 year old daughter suffered from ITP, two years back. Her hemoglobin and iron are low again, so she started taking Orofer. Her hemoglobin is 10.3 g/dL and iron is 25. The platelet count is fine. Please help.   Read Full »

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. According to the history provided, it is a case of anemia. Here hemoglobin level is low and serum iron level is also low. Hence, it is suggestive of iron-deficiency anemia. But for proper workup, I need to know peripheral smear examination report with CBC (complete blo...  Read Full »

Why is the platelet count decreasing even after platelet transfusion?

Query: Hello doctor,My mom's platelet count was 6,000 and they did platelet transfusion for six pints and it came about 1,00,000 and after that, today again it became 13,000. What will be the disease condition and what is the treatment to be followed?  Read Full »

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. You have not mentioned at what time she got her platelet transfusion and now after how many days the platelet count has been decreased. Dengue, immune thrombocytopenia purpura, uremia, malaria, blood septicemia, drugs, platelet functional disorder, consumptive coagul...  Read Full »

I have a weird rash. Could it be related to my diabetes or fatty liver?

Query: Hi doctor, I am 31 years old. I was diagnosed with prediabetes at the age of 14. I did not focus much on it until in my 20's when I got diagnosed with actual diabetes with an a1c of 12 or 14. Eventually, I was put on insulin. My first orders were 10 units of Levemir at bedtime and to go up three uni...  Read Full »

Dr. Shaikh Sadaf

Diabetologist, Endocrinologist, Family Physician, General Practitioner

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. I just read your query and from what you have attached (attachment removed to protect patient identity), it appears that these rashes are idiopathic thrombocytopenic purpura. These are usually acute and self-limiting and occur in women between 20 to 40 years of age gro...  Read Full »

Can you help me interpret my preventive health screening reports?

Query: Hello doctor, I am a 32 year old male. I recently went for a preventive health screening. I need your valuable feedback regarding my reports.  Read Full »

Cardiologist, General Medicine Physician, Internal Medicine Physician, Family Physician, General Practitioner

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. I have gone through your reports (attachment removed to protect patient identity). The only discrepancy seen is that the platelet count is borderline, although not totally abnormal. Rest of your reports are normal including chloride which is given in bold letters. Now...  Read Full »