Q. Can braces be used to bring impacted upper canine into its position?

Dr. Prerna Jain
Published on Jan 29, 2019

I have a confusion on pulling down an impacted left upper canine. One doctor said we can pull down left upper canine using bracket and braces other said no because roots are not yet formed.

Dr. Prerna Jain

Dentistry Orthodontist
#

Regarding the impacted left upper canine, I have looked at your CBCT and OPG (attachment removed to protect patient identity). A vital piece of information. The age of the patient is not available. However, according to the present data, the upper left canine is not completely formed and also has a bend in the root. It is also placed at a much deeper and more difficult location. It can be brought down into the arch with surgical exposure and braces.

However, there are certain risks with such teeth. Somtimes the tooth is joint with bone compounded by the bend in the bone and so does not respond to the pressure. In such a case, it will have to be extracted. This happens in extremely less number of cases. So it is a risk worth taking for the canine tooth since it is a very important tooth. Younger the patient, better chances.

He is my son, 14 years old. How to know whether it is attached to bone? How will the bent and not completely formed root affect the pull down by braces and bracket? Our family doctor asked to consult a dental surgeon who told to leave that tooth as it is and treat other teeth. While other orthodontist told that they include that left upper impacted tooth too in the orthodontics treatment. This is the confusion.

Dr. Prerna Jain

Dentistry Orthodontist
#

There is no way to know if it might be ankylosed or joint to bone. Usually the chances of ankylosis are higher if there is a bend (dilaceration). This is a decision you have to make knowing the pros and cons as I mentioned. Pro is that the canine is very important tooth especially in this young age. Ankylosis is not very common.

Cons are cost of surgery, difficult to bring down the tooth due to bend. If tooth is ankylosed, it will have to be extracted and treatment plan will change. Root not being completely formed is a benefit rather than disadvantage.

I will contact you after discussion with our doctor.

Dr. Prerna Jain

Dentistry Orthodontist
#

Yes, absolutely.

We had been to our orthodontist. He said about making a surgical window and using spring brackets pulling down the impacted left upper canine and monitoring it regularly. But out of respect and anxiousness, we failed to clear one doubt.

1. What will happen if we leave the impacted upper left canine having less formed root and having bend root untouched as it is not creating any issue now and is not visible?

2. What is wrong in pulling a tooth like canine of which root is bend and less formed?

We as parents wish to solve the biological issue than its aesthetic aspect.

Dr. Prerna Jain

Dentistry Orthodontist
#

1. There are certain complications like risk of cyst formation or infection that can happen leaving the upper left canine as it is.

2. There is nothing wrong in pulling a tooth down. It just might be difficult or may not happen due to possible ankylosis. Hence I advised that it is better to try and bring it down using braces and surgical exposure.

My teeth are crooked after using retainers only at night. Should I get braces again?

Query: Hello doctor, One of my teeth started moving backward as soon as I started wearing my retainer just at night. It got painful to put the retainer back in, and so I stopped wearing it. I am terrified of orthodontists and dentists, and so did not let my orthodontist know. Now, two of my teeth has move...  Read Full »

I have pain on the left side of the jaw. Is it due to an impacted tooth or a tooth with large filling?

Query: Hi doctor, Approximately six weeks ago, I got niggling wisdom teeth pain. The left top and bottom wisdom teeth were breaking through the gums. I got sudden pain which was severe in intensity around the back of my mouth and the lower left side. It got aggravated especially on chewing and radiating to...  Read Full »

Will other teeth shift if I get a tooth removed for braces?

Query: Hello doctor, I have a misalignment and mild crowding of teeth in upper jaw and have bite issues. I have consulted a maxillofacial surgeon and advised tooth removal prior to braces and removed upper left tooth, probably molar tooth, and advised to consult orthodontist for braces. I want to know whe...  Read Full »

Ask an Orthodontist Now