Q. Baby tooth was removed to expose impacted tooth. Is there a chance for cyst if we delay braces?

Dr. Tinu Thampy

I am a 30-year-old male. I had a baby tooth in the left lower jaw. Beneath it, there is an impacted first permanent premolar tooth. OPG and CBCT were taken. The baby tooth was extracted before a month, and the impacted tooth was exposed. As I had some misalignment in both the jaws, I consulted an orthodontist, and I was advised to wait for two months for braces treatment. Now the exposed area of the impacted tooth has got healed and covered completely. Should I need to wait for an eruption? Can I have a cyst formation under the impacted tooth? Can I start my braces treatment now? I am attaching my OPG, CBCT reports and photos.

Dr. Tinu Thampy

Dentistry Maxillofacial Prosthodontist Oral And Maxillofacial Surgery Oral Implantologist
#

I have gone through the attachment (attachment removed to protect patient identity). You do not have a cyst formation associated with the impacted tooth according to the images. In some cases, by orthodontic treatment, the tooth can be exposed, and they are brought to a normal position.

In some cases, after extraction of the retained baby tooth, the impacted tooth can come into favorable position. So the orthodontist can place braces on it to bring it into position. So the doctor advises you to wait for two months. A mucosal layer always covers the tooth, and it can be exposed. After two months, if it is not coming to a favorable position, it can also be extracted.

| 

Can I have a cyst formation under the impacted tooth while waiting for orthodontic treatment? I want to conserve the tooth, and I do not want to extract it. I am in fear of losing the tooth. Please help.

Dr. Tinu Thampy

#

You cannot have a cyst formation in two months. If the tooth is brought in position by orthodontic treatment, then it is fine. If it needs extraction, your orthodontist can align your other teeth also, and he can close the space. In tooth crowding cases, removal of a healthy tooth is also done. All these come under a part of the treatment plan.

|