Q. I am bleeding while on Implanon. Why?

Dr. Nageswara Rao

I am a 25-year-old female. I have been on the contraceptive Implanon for about seven months now. In the last three months, I had a bit of spotting, which has now turned into consistent bleeding for the last two months.

Before this, I was on Depo Provera for seven years and never got my periods.

I had tried hormone patches after my doctor suggestion them, and they did not help me.

Now I have tried Nurofen every six hours for 48 hours, and it has stopped the bleeding completely. My question is, how long does this normally last? Is it the wear off due to anti-inflammatory, or is this something that stops the spotting or bleeding until the normal next cycle?

I want to know, will I have some relief for awhile as I know I cannot keep taking this medication due to the risks.

I do not have health issues or medications other than a contraceptive.

I stopped the Depo Provera because it reduces my bone density.

Dr. Nageswara Rao

Diabetology General Medicine Internal Medicine
#

There are many ways of contraception. You can use barrier methods like condoms by your husband or a copper T. One more thing is if your cycles are regular like say every 30 days, then 14 days before the next period is your ovulation day. You can also observe your vaginal mucus, which becomes like a thread that indicates ovulation. Being cautious during ovulation prevent pregnancy, your nitrogen has nothing to do with your bleeding,it is just an anti-inflammatory do not use it. Implanon sometimes causes bleeding then stops on its own. My advice is to get it removed and go for a barrier method, which is easy to use and takes no lag time to get back to normal physiological cycle without any delay.

|