Q. My breast milk is not sufficient for my 33 days old son. Can I give him powder milk?

Dr. Preeti Puranik
This is a premium question & answer published on Jul 27, 2017 and last reviewed on: Oct 09, 2018

My second baby boy is 33 days old. I am breastfeeding him from birth, but now the breast milk is not sufficient for him. What should I do now? Shall I go for milk powders? Or is there any other way to increase breast milk production? Kindly advise.

#

1. If the baby is gaining weight of 150 g or more per week, then the baby is getting sufficient milk.
  2. If the baby is passing urine more than 6 to 8 times a day (large amount), then the baby is getting adequate milk.
  • First, check and ensure the above. The baby needs to be breastfed exclusively until six months of age. So, there is no question of milk powder or top feeding. As the baby suckles, the brain gets the message, and more milk starts flowing. I suggest you try the following:
  1. Let the baby suckle frequently.
  2. Take a balanced diet with extra protein. Take calcium and iron supplements.
  3. You can take Lactare granules with milk twice a day, which may help to increase milk production.
  • If you feel milk has reduced because the baby is unsatisfied and crying frequently, try to express breast milk and feed the same with a spoon as a top up feed instead of powder milk.

If all above methods fail, please see a lactation consultant.

For more information consult a paediatrician online --> https://icliniq.com./ask-a-doctor-online/paediatrician

|