Q. I am anemic even after taking iron supplements. Why?

Published on Feb 09, 2017 and last reviewed on: Oct 09, 2018

I have a history of anemia. I have been taking iron supplements prescribed by my doctor for the past few months. After a while, I had an appointment, and my doctor said that I am still very anemic. A few years ago, I had an eating problem. I was overeating, but I did not gain weight. Is there something wrong with me?

Cardiology General Medicine Internal Medicine
#

• If you are taking supplements regularly then either you do not have iron deficiency anemia, or you are having ongoing blood loss either in periods or stools.
  • The first thing is to get peripheral smear test, and serum iron studies were done. It will let us know whether you have iron deficiency or not.
  • If it shows no iron deficiency, then you should get serum vitamin B12 and folic acid levels done, which is also the common cause of anemia.
  • If it is an iron deficiency anemia, then you should stop iron supplements for three to four days and get stool for occult blood testing done to determine the cause.
  • If it is positive, then you will need further tests. Also, afterwards you need to start iron supplements in higher dose. So, discuss these issues with your doctor.

For further information consult an internal medicine physician online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/internal-medicine-physician

Is the fact menorrhagia leads to anemia true?

Query: Hi doctor,Person who suffers from menorrhagia (heavy bleeding during period) is at higher risk of anemia. Is this true? Is there any basis to this claim? What if you are already anemic and suffering from menorrhagia? What complications are associated with the same? What precautions should one take i...  Read Full >>

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. It is common for a woman to experience blood loss of 60-80 ml per menstrual cycle. In cases of menorrhagia the blood loss is heavier and in the form of clots or in terms of using more than 6-7 sanitary napkins daily during menses. Menorrhagia easily leads to anemia o...  Read Full

How much Folic acid is required during pregnancy in Crohn's patient?

Query: Hello doctor, I have Crohn's disease and am pregnant. The first day of my last period was before 40 days and I have been taking multivitamins which includes 400 micrograms of Folic acid for the past four months. I am now pregnant. The doctor said that I need 5 mg of Folic acid due to the Crohns whi...  Read Full >>

Dr. Donalyn S. Barcial

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. I have read your concern. You need not worry or be anxious about it. Although absorption of Folate may be disturbed because of your Crohns, taking 400 mcg for four months will be good enough. Meaning, you are not deficient from it from the very start but since you are ...  Read Full

Does my kid have loose motions due to packaged milk?

Query: Hi doctor, My son is 13 months old and 8 kg weight. He is having loose motion over a week. I have given him Oflomac-M and Sporlac tablet twice a day. As he did not suffice, stopped giving him Amul milk and started Isomil. Later he was fine for the next 2 days and when I started back Amul milk since...  Read Full >>

Dr. Deepak Patel
Child Health Specialist

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. I have read your question in detail and I know that you are very concerned about your child but do not worry. By what you quote it seems that your child has probably got lactose intolerance, resistant stomach infection or worm infestation. I think you should do stool r...  Read Full