Q. Do fluctuations in heartbeat denote heart disease?

Published on Mar 07, 2017 and last reviewed on: Oct 09, 2018

My heartbeat keeps fluctuating. Sometimes, it will be 85 bpm and the other time 60, 57 or 58 bpm. Does it indicate any heart disease?

Cardiology General Medicine Internal Medicine
#

• No, fluctuations in a heartbeat do not denote any heart disease. In fact, it indicates that your heart is normal.
  • Heartbeat should increase during awake, with activities and exercise. And, it should decrease with rest and sleep.
  • However, you measures the pulse during rest and ask someone to do it during your sleep.
  • The only concern is that it should not be too low. Here, the readings you mentioned are fine. Just to be on a safer side monitor your lowest pulse rate.
  • I guess you do not have any symptoms like dizziness, fainting, palpitations, etc. In all probabilities, there is no abnormality in you and no need to worry.

For further information consult a cardiologist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/cardiologist

Do I need to worry about panic attacks and irregular heartbeats?

Query: Hi doctor,I feel as if I am getting irregular heartbeats. I had suffered from panic attacks quite a few times in the last six months. Since then, I have been having these irregular heartbeats. Although, I have not had a panic attack now, the heart still beats irregularly and it occurs throughout the...  Read Full >>

Dr. Aditi Gupta Jha

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. If you have not got any tests done so far for this, then you should seriously take a step forward in that direction. You will need an ECG, a 2D echocardiogram and a blood pressure check. Another thing is, if it is a panic attack, then you will know when you are getting it...  Read Full

My heart rate is high while doing exercise. Please advise.

Query: Hi doctor, My heart rate is 90 to 100 while doing exercise. Should I reduce my exercise and take more rest? Or do I need to do exercise such as jogging every day?  Read Full >>

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. Firstly, I would like to inform you that your heart rate is completely normal. Also, when you exercise, it is a normal phenomenon that the heart rate raises. It is only after regular long sessions of exercising that the lower heart rate is seen, like in athletes or marath...  Read Full

My heart rate increases with exertion. Should I be worried?

Query: Hi doctor, I have a severe doctor phobia. I am unable to go in for care, but I need to understand something happening better and if it is normal for my health. I had an episode of something a couple of months ago. I got extremely sick, started vomiting and sweating horribly, has chills and massivel...  Read Full >>

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. First of all, there is no need to worry and relieve your anxiety. In all probabilities, you are having obstructive sleep apnea as all your data fits into it. Do you have any symptoms like snoring, interrupted sleep, unrefreshing sleep, morning headaches, daytime sleepi...  Read Full