Q. Can anxiety cause increased heart rate and chest tightness?

Dr. Muhammad Zohaib Siddiq
This is a premium question & answer published on Jan 01, 2020 and last reviewed on: Jan 06, 2020

I have been to four different hospitals over within a year multiple times due to health anxiety and fear of heart failure, heart attack, etc. I am dealing with a lot of muscle tension, all my muscles are tight and I am always checking my heart rate constantly. For some reason, at times like standing, walking or in the shower, my heart feels like it is beating harder than normal, and faster at times. I am not sure if a tight chest makes heart beats feel more intense or if there is a problem. I have had EKG, chest x-rays, and blood work to rule out serious heart conditions. Everything was fine except blood pressure.

I have been really stressed, scared and constantly on edge. So they think my blood pressure is due to stress as I was having a panic attack when it was taken, and when I was relaxed it started going down. I am extremely scared to do anything because my chest, neck, and back is so tight and when I feel my heart beat fast things get tighter, spasm and lock up. What is going on? What is the remedy to this? Is this really anxiety? Can the muscle tension make my heartbeat feel stronger than normal?

#

Your symptoms seem to be due to anxiety. If all your workup is normal, there is nothing to worry about. I advise you to eat healthily, avoid fast foods, alcohol, etc. Do regular exercise, flush all the worries out of your life.

There is nothing to worry about, always chill, you have your life and you have to make full of it. Always care for life as it is precious so you are too. Take part in healthy activities. If these measures does not solve the problem, pay a visit to the psychologist.

In my opinion, you are fit and healthy and nothing to worry.

|