Q. What can be done for irregular heartbeat with chest and shoulder pain?

Dr. Carlos L. Alviar
Published on Feb 17, 2019

I am an 18-year-old female, no current medications, no known conditions, family history of many different heart problems on both maternal and paternal sides, seen by a cardiologist for bigeminy and irregular heartbeat over the summer, palpations still happen pretty often, chest and shoulder pain both on the left side still happening occasionally. Told by my cardiologist that I have nothing to worry about at all, have not talked to her since then. Yesterday, I got my paperwork and my test results from wearing the 24 hour Holter monitor and I am extremely worried.

Dr. Carlos L. Alviar

Cardiology Critical Care Physician
#

What you have is called premature ventricular contractions (AKA PVCs), which are extra beats coming from the bottom chamber of the heart and in some occasions they present in every other beat (what is called ventricular bigeminy) (attachment removed to protect patient identity). These beats can be tolerated as normal in many individuals, However, there are two things that are the most important factors to consider:

1. What is the burden (amount or percentage of PVCs in 24 hours in your heart? While some people say that up to 6 PVCs per hour is normal, the number that cardiologist gets worried is more than 10,000 or more than 20,000 in 24 hours. The main reason we get worried with this number is because this is the limit when PVCs can be associated with impairment of the squeezing function of the heart.

2. What is the heart function, in particular, what is the ejection fraction (squeezing function) which in other words is the ability to pump the blood? If the ejection fraction is low, we have to explore the amount of PVCs (particularly if more than 10,000 in 24 hours) as a potential cause of this low pumping function. This is something that can be done with an ultrasound of the heart. If we do see that the pumping function is low and there are more than 10000 PVCs in 24 hours, we need to consider treating this with medications, a catheter-based procedure or both.

Finally, it is important to determine if you have a lot of symptoms, in particular, palpitations, dizziness, fainting or chest pain, in a regular basis and if these symptoms are interfering with your life.

PVCs.

Echocardiogram, treadmill stress test, to assess if the PVCs get suppressed or not during exercise.

PACs with aberrancy.

PVCs.

Echocardiogram, treadmill stress test. Low dose beta blocker (Metoprolol or Propanolol) can be used once we have a confirmatory burden in the Holter.

Please verify if the Holter report has a percentage of PVCs in 24 hours. I did not see it in the attached picture.

For chest pain, is it necessary to get an ECG or can I manage with medicine?

Query: Hi doctor,I am feeling a slight pain in the left side of my chest while taking a deep breath. Can you help me with the medicine to cure this pain?  Read Full >>

Dr. Naresh Kumar Monigari

Answer: Hello, Welcome back to icliniq.com. I had gone through all the data posted. We need more details of the problem. What is your age? Do you have any history of diabetes or hypertension? Where is the exact location of pain? Does the pain increase on walking or climbing stairs? Kindly review with fur...  Read Full

Do I need to worry about panic attacks and irregular heartbeats?

Query: Hi doctor,I feel as if I am getting irregular heartbeats. I had suffered from panic attacks quite a few times in the last six months. Since then, I have been having these irregular heartbeats. Although, I have not had a panic attack now, the heart still beats irregularly and it occurs throughout the...  Read Full >>

Dr. Aditi Gupta Jha

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. If you have not got any tests done so far for this, then you should seriously take a step forward in that direction. You will need an ECG, a 2D echocardiogram and a blood pressure check. Another thing is, if it is a panic attack, then you will know when you are getting it...  Read Full

What might be the reason for increasing lightheadedness?

Query: Hi doctor, I am suffering from increasing lightheadedness and pressure near the back of the neck. I have this throughout the day. It gets worse with exertion and hot shower. I have some weird feeling in chest that is almost a fast heartbeat. My EKG and blood pressure are normal. Currently, I am on P...  Read Full >>

Dr. Eriol Braholli
General Surgeon

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. The common cause of dizziness or lightheadedness is abnormal blood pressure or irregular heartbeat. But, you said that your blood pressure and heart rhythm are normal. So, the other reason may be your depression medication. The common side effects of Prozac (Fluoxetine) ...  Read Full