Q. Does heart rate increase normally at night?

and medically reviewed by Dr. Nithila A
Published on Sep 13, 2019

I have a question about my heart rate when I have been sleeping. I will occasionally see on my heart rate tracker that my heart rate will spike at night to average around 130 to 160 a lot during the night. But I am still sleeping, and it does not wake me up, and I am worried something is up. Kindly explain.

Cardiology General Medicine Internal Medicine
#

Are you overweight? Do you snore or have obstructive sleep apnea? Now we have to investigate whether this elevation in heart rate shown by a device is sinus tachycardia, artifacts or cardiac arrhythmia. So, you need further evaluation to diagnose. Cardiac arrhythmia without any symptoms and only during symptoms is a less likely possibility. So, either you get Holter attached which is 24 hour ECG monitoring or Alivecor kardia monitor which also shows ECG tracing. Either of these will help us to reach some conclusions. I hope this helps you and get back if you have any doubts.

I do snore, and I weight 187 pounds, so I am not sure if that is considered overweight or not, but I do suffer from anxiety which I do not know if this would contribute to this because I was asleep and did not feel anxious last night.

#

Calculate your BMI from your weight and height, and see if it is more than 24.9. So, presence snoring suggests the possibility of obstructive sleep apnea. Snoring is frequently associated with a fall in oxygen saturation at night, which may secondarily lead to tachycardia. Have a look into other symptoms like morning headaches, excessive day time sleepiness, episode of choking, or awakenings at night may be witnessed by others.

This is not related to anxiety, but since it occurs only during the night, it is probably a sleep-related disorder. So, either of Holter monitoring, Alivecor kardia monitor, which is a portable device or sleep study is an option. Try to have a healthy lifestyle and loose some weight if it falls in the overweight category.

What could be the reason for increased heart rate of my pregnant wife?

Query: Hi doctor, My wife is 34 weeks pregnant. She has known tachycardia and had an unsuccessful ablation at 11 years old. Around six weeks ago, using pulse oximeter I have at home, I noticed her resting heart rate had dramatically increased. It went from an average of around 100 to around 130 and 140, so...  Read Full >>

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. Tachycardia, which she had, was mostly probably PSVT (paroxysmal supraventricular tachycardia) or other SVT (supraventricular tachycardia), which are usually episodic in nature. So, the reading which you had of 123 was probably not due to her old heart problem PSVT, but ...  Read Full

Chronic Granulomatous Disease And Sleep Apnea Connected To Each Other?

Query: Hello doctor, I am a 53 year old army veteran, served for 33 years, who was diagnosed while serving in the army with chronic granulomatous disease and sleep apnea. When I filed a Veterans Administration (VA) claim, the VA rated me for compensation but combined the ratings into one rating. This mean...  Read Full >>

Dr. Mahmoud Ahmed Abelrahman Abouibrahim

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. Chronic granulomatous disease (CGD) is an immunodeficiency condition where the white blood cells cannot fight the pathogens effectively which cause different types of infections. As for sleep apnea, it is caused by narrowing of the air passages mostly in the nasopha...  Read Full

Can smoking cause high blood pressure, increased heart rate, and shortness of breath?

Query: Hi doctor,I suffered from bronchitis, four years ago. Since it got cured, I smoked cigarettes for two years and gradually stopped smoking. Recently, I have high blood pressure, increased heart rate, and I have shortness of breath. I started running 2 km daily. Why am I having all these symptoms?  Read Full >>

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. As you have a history of smoking, smoking-induced left ventricular hypertrophy, emphysema, bronchitis, pulmonary congestion, etc., can lead to such presentation. You need to do the following investigations: Auscultation. Chest x-ray. 2D echocardiography or...  Read Full