Q. I feel the urge to urinate, but passing only a little urine. Do I have an STD?

Dr. Samer S J Altawil

I am a 23-year-old male. For the past, 24 hours I have been experiencing an ongoing urge to urinate with a slight discomforting pain which feels near to the inside of the tip of the penis. When I do urinate, I only do small amounts, and being a volunteer fire fighter I know that the urine itself is not discolored or of bad odor. It does not hurt more when I urinate nor are there any other symptoms such as visible deformities or discoloration. I am married and my wife has been tested for STD's as well as my ex-partner from a couple of years ago. I have a history of yeast infection which lasted a week and was seen and treated by a doctor over a year and a half ago.

I am currently on allergy medicines Claritin and Flonase.

#

Your symptoms of frequency indicate inflammation or irritation to your bladder, prostate, or urethra, which we call as lower urinary tract. Inflammation can be secondary to an infection, and irritation can be due to stone at lower ureter or bladder. Previous history of yeast infection, which might recurred or have a bacterial infection.

Infection to urethra or prostate is common in male but inflammation in the bladder is uncommon. Proper investigations are required to reach the diagnosis. For test, you need urine culture (for separate samples one at the beginning of urinary stream, one at mid-stream, one at the end of stream, and one after ejaculation). You also need ultrasound KUB (kidney, ureter, and bladder) as well to detect if there is any other cause like a stone in the bladder or lower ureter.

For treatment, it must be started after giving samples for culture as it can affect the result. You can take Ciprofloxacin 500 mg twice daily for four weeks, but as soon as you get the results, you need a follow up as antibiotic might be changed or continued. Reduce caffeinated drinks and take the water of about 2.5 liters a day.

I had antibiotics for four weeks for chronic prostatitis.

| 

After urination, a few drops of urine are dripping which I cannot control. Please advice.

Query: Hello doctor, After urination a few drops are coming through my penis, I cannot control. Please advice.  Read Full »

Please suggest Ayurveda cure for gallstone and prostate enlargement.

Query: Hi doctor, I got gallstone and prostate enlargement and the PSA is 8. Abnormalities are noted in the lung parenchyma or pleura, but no pulmonary nodules seen. Also abnormalities are seen in neck and mediastinum. When I have cold, cough does not stop itself. I drink some water and I think while worki...  Read Full »

Why am I not able to hold my urine lately?

Query: Hi doctor, I am 20 years old, so this is embarrassing. Lately, I have not been able to hold my urine. Sometimes I pee on the way to the toilet or even at night. There are instances where I will be in the grocery store and all of the sudden I would have to run across the store, but still not make ...  Read Full »

Does CD marker help in identification of blood cancer?
Hi doctor, I am a 25-year-old male suffering from joint pain and pain in the knees. I also have nausea, vomiting, gynec...  Read more»
I suddenly got fainted and woked up with bruising in eyes. Why?
Hi doctor,I am 28 years old with normal weight and following a vegetarian diet. Last month, I fainted at home and my fri...  Read more»