Prostate Enlargement

The prostate is a small gland located between the bladder and the penis, which commonly gets enlarged in older individuals. The symptoms associated with prostate enlargement are frequent urination, difficulty starting urine, and incomplete bladder emptying.

Recently Answered Questions Recently Answered Questions

All the answers published in this website are written by verified medical doctors, therapists and health experts. The Content has been moderated by iCliniq medical review team before publication. Post your medical clarifications on iCliniq by choosing the right specialty and get them answered. Your medical queries will be answered 24/7 by top doctors from iCliniq.

Is surgery the only way to treat a patient with hypertension, Parkinson's disease, and enlarged prostate with a focal lesion?

Query: Hello doctor, The patient is a 75-year-old male patient with a history of hypertension and Parkinson's disease history. He also has an enlarged prostrate with a focal lesion. He is on Maxvoid Plus 8. But PSA is low. Is surgery the only way?  Read Full »

Dr. Samer Sameer Juma Ali Altawil

Answer: Hello, Welcome to The treatment for prostate enlargement, especially with patients with Parkinson’s disease, will be with medications and depending on symptoms. Parkinson’s disease will cause overactive bladder and also urinary retention. After treating Parkinson’s disease with ...  Read Full »

Can the BPH of my father turn into cancer?

Query: Hello doctor, My father aged 54, on ultrasound of whole abdomen shows prostate weight 0.068 pounds. A year back, the prostate weight was 0.057 pounds. He is taking Tamsulosin 0.4 tablet. The doctor says it is very likely benign prostatic hyperplasia. Can it turn into cancer?  Read Full »

Dr. Choudhary Devendra

Answer: Hello, Welcome to prostatic enlargement is suggested to be BPH (benign prostatic hyperplasia) after examination by a Urologist to be benign then it is very unlikely to be cancer. Prostate size growth over one year may be falsely positive due to different radiologists performing ultr...  Read Full »

I have frequent urination, and I am diabetic. Kindly advice.

Query: Hi doctor,I have a problem of frequent urination, and I am diabetic. Please check the attached reports and give your valuable advice or opinion.  Read Full »

Dr. Khant Shahil Ramesh Bhai

Answer: Hi, Welcome to The ultrasound report (attachment removed to protect patient identity) shows enlarge prostate. You have urinary symptoms due to an enlarged prostate. The pre-void volume is 300 mL, and post-void volume is 230 mL, which is more. Also, left kidney is small, and it might b...  Read Full »

Does a high PSA level warrant a biopsy?

Query: Hi doctor, I am 62 years old. I have severe pain while urinating and having frequent urination at night. My PSA 62.32, prostate 78 g, RUV 142 mL. Should I get a biopsy?  Read Full »

Dr. Gupta Aman Manoharlal

Answer: Hi, Welcome to I hope your doctor has examined you physically. If there is a doubt of any tumor on prostate examination, then a biopsy should be done. If there is any history of a recent proven urinary tract infection in the last few days, then PSA (prostate-specific antigen)...  Read Full »

Can BPE lead to prostate cancer?

Query: Hi doctor, I am a 74-year-old male with BPE. I am in good health for my age. I take blood pressure and cholesterol medicines along with Tamsulosin (Flomax) for my BPE. Is it true that sexual activity (ejaculation) is good for the prostate? Can it help prevent prostate cancer?  Read Full »

Dr. Samer Sameer Juma Ali Altawil

Answer: Hi, Welcome to Thanks for consulting with us. BPE (Benign prostate enlargement) is a problem of people after the age of 50 years. Obstruction depends on the prostate shape rather than size; that is, which part of the prostate is enlarging rather than the prostate's total size. Some ...  Read Full »

I am struggling with the side effects of Tamsulosin. What do you advise?

Query: Hello doctor, I have been on Tamsulosin for enlarged prostate for five and a half years. 18 months ago, I started getting some side effects. I am now getting another side effect, a blocked nose which I am struggling to get rid of. I know all the other prostate medications have the same side effects....  Read Full »

Dr. Mahmoud Ahmed Abdelrahman Abouibrahim

Answer: Hello, Welcome to I understand your concerns. Stuffy nose is one of the major side effects of Tamsulosin (Flamox). And, all alpha-blockers could cause the same issue. The medications that could resolve your problem could make the prostate worse. So, I suggest that you change the Tamsu...  Read Full »

I feel tired, dehydrated, and irritated after taking Zinc 50 mg for enlarged prostate. Are these symptoms of overdose?

Query: Hello doctor, I am a 44-year-old male, and I have been taking a 15 mg Zinc supplement to cure my enlarged prostate for one month, as I heard Zinc helps reduce it. In addition to the 15 mg Zinc supplement, I took the 50 mg Zinc capsules for five days in the last 30 days. Now I feel tired and dehydrat...  Read Full »

Dr. Nagaraj

Answer: Hello, Welcome to I understand your concerns. I am not sure if this question is for you as you mentioned your age as 44 years as in such a young age, prostate enlargement is uncommon. Although studies have found that Zinc supplement helps slow the progression of prostate hypertrophy. ...  Read Full »

I have problems urinating after sex or ejaculation. Can it be prostate enlargement or UTI?

Query: Hello doctor, I was recently diagnosed with a heart rhythm issue and atrial fibrillation and am scheduled to have a catheter ablation in a little over two weeks. I am currently taking the following medicines: Tablet Multaq 400 mg, one in the morning and one in the evening. Tablet Diltiazem 240 mg i...  Read Full »

Dr. Samer Sameer Juma Ali Altawil

Answer: Hello, Welcome to I read your query and can understand your concern. From your history, I suppose it is prostate enlargement, and symptoms get more pronounced when you ejaculate as this sex gland enlarges further, causing urinary retention. I suggest you get evaluated with the follo...  Read Full »

How to treat prostate enlargement and difficulty urinating?

Query: Hi doctor,I have a sleep disorder, anxiety, panic disorder, high blood pressure, and prostate enlargement for a week. I have difficulty in urinating for two weeks.   Read Full »

Dr. Samer Sameer Juma Ali Altawil

Answer: Hi, Welcome to Prostate enlargement occurs commonly after 50 years of age and it causes symptoms like difficulty in passing urine. Doing investigations like ultrasound KUB (kidney, ureter, and bladder) and prostate will help to know the size of the prostate and other abnormalities in ...  Read Full »

I get blood in my semen quite often. What could be the reason?

Query: Hello doctor, I am a 32-year-old man. About two years ago, I was using a dildo (male) and ended up having old brown blood in my semen for three months. I consulted various doctors, and they just asked me to give it time. It went away after three months, but I have been having enlarged prostate sympt...  Read Full »

Dr. Samer Sameer Juma Ali Altawil

Answer: Hello, Welcome to It looks like hematospermia due to inflammation, infection, or tumor. Proper investigations are required to diagnose the condition. Inflammatory causes are infections, stones, and cysts present with discomfort or dysuria, or hematospermia. Investigations required fo...  Read Full »

ask-doctor-img Ask a Doctor Online

* Your first query consult is free!

Search for a Health Issue

Disclaimer: No content published on this website is intended to be a substitute for professional medical diagnosis, advice or treatment by a trained physician. Seek advice from your physician or other qualified healthcare providers with questions you may have regarding your symptoms and medical condition for a complete medical diagnosis. Do not delay or disregard seeking professional medical advice because of something you have read on this website. Read our Editorial Process to know how we create content for health articles and queries.