Q. I am B -ve and did not take anti-D previously. What test should I take before second pregnancy?

Dr. Deepika Joshi Khare

I am 35 years old and I have a kid of 5 years with normal delivery. I and my first child are of the same blood group (B - ve). I had six week abortion in 2018 with pills, due to some miscommunication I missed taking anti-D. Now I am planning for a second baby. Kindly advise in detail should I undergo any medications or tests before conceiving?

Please note my husband's blood group (AB + ve) and I never had anti-D injection nor after my first delivery or after my abortion.

Dr. Deepika Joshi Khare

Obstetrics And Gynaecology
#

Yes, you need to get an ICT (Indirect Coombs test). Since the previous baby is also negative and the abortion you had was with a pill so most likely the test will be negative but do get it done. You can plan pregnancy, but the most important thing you have to keep in mind is that you need to get your ICT at the time of conception and then at 11 weeks then at 20 weeks and then at 28 weeks. If it is negative then you need to take an Anti D 300 microgram at 28 weeks and one after delivery if the baby is positive in the deltoid muscle. If anytime it is positive then the management will differ. Rest of the management will be like any normal pregnancy.

| 

How does Coombs test diagnose cold-agglutinin-disease?

Query: Hello doctor, I am trying to understand how a Coombs test would be used to diagnose me for cold-agglutinin-disease. Can you please help explain in understandable terms what that would do? I am confused between direct and indirect tests.  Read Full »

My 5-year-old daughter has beta-thalassemia major with enlarged spleen. Will she be transfusion dependent?

Query: Hello doctor,I am a beta thalassemia minor, but my wife is not. Recently my 5-year daughter was diagnosed with beta-thalassemia major (heterozygous). She is active and playful. No problem reported yet, but her Hb level is between 7.8 to 8.8 from starting. Her spleen is enlarged as diagnosed in USG. ...  Read Full »

My daughter has swollen lymph nodes and positive ANA. Please provide opinion.

Query: Hello doctor,My daughter, 15 years, has swollen lymph nodes. Biopsy done. It is non-malignant. No TB. But ANA has come positive. I would like to share the reports and take your opinion.  Read Full »