Q. Is it necessary to get rhesus checked during pregnancy?

Dr. Uzma Arqam

What is Rhesus? My wife is pregnant and started clinic today.

#

At first visit, the pregnant lady's blood group needs to be checked. There are many blood groups like A, B, O, AB and another thing which we need to know is rhesus positive or rhesus negative. So on the basis of rhesus, it is A+, A-, B+, B-, O+, O-, AB+, AB -. So, every blood group have rhesus classification like rhesus positive and rhesus negative. A positive and a negative.

Rhesus has to be known as there is one issue of rhesus incompatibility. If both mother and father of the child are rhesus positive or both rhesus negative, then no issue. But, if mother is rhesus negative and father is rhesus positive and developing baby is rhesus positive, then mother can develop antibodies against fetal blood that can cause lysis of blood cells most likely in next pregnancy which can lead to anemic baby.

Rh negative mothers with Rh positive husbands need anti-D injections. They need to have twice at 28 and 32 weeks of gestation without any cause but in case of bleeding during pregnancy also need injection, after birth also. Check your blood group as well if wife is rhesus negative. She should have regular antenatal visits and in case of bleeding or pain report to gynecology emergency.

If wife is Rh negative, have blood grouping of husband.

Regular antenatal check-ups in maternal medicine unit if Rh negative and some other complications are related to it. Anti-D injections at 28 and 32 weeks.

Balanced diet, weight, and BMI, folic acid. Regular antenatal check-ups. Report in case of any bleeding.

|