Q. Is it necessary to get rhesus checked during pregnancy?

Dr. Uzma Arqam
Published on Feb 04, 2019

What is Rhesus? My wife is pregnant and started clinic today.

Dr. Uzma Arqam

Obstetrics And Gynaecology
#

At first visit, the pregnant lady's blood group needs to be checked. There are many blood groups like A, B, O, AB and another thing which we need to know is rhesus positive or rhesus negative. So on the basis of rhesus, it is A+, A-, B+, B-, O+, O-, AB+, AB -. So, every blood group have rhesus classification like rhesus positive and rhesus negative. A positive and a negative.

Rhesus has to be known as there is one issue of rhesus incompatibility. If both mother and father of the child are rhesus positive or both rhesus negative, then no issue. But, if mother is rhesus negative and father is rhesus positive and developing baby is rhesus positive, then mother can develop antibodies against fetal blood that can cause lysis of blood cells most likely in next pregnancy which can lead to anemic baby.

Rh negative mothers with Rh positive husbands need anti-D injections. They need to have twice at 28 and 32 weeks of gestation without any cause but in case of bleeding during pregnancy also need injection, after birth also. Check your blood group as well if wife is rhesus negative. She should have regular antenatal visits and in case of bleeding or pain report to gynecology emergency.

If wife is Rh negative, have blood grouping of husband.

Regular antenatal check-ups in maternal medicine unit if Rh negative and some other complications are related to it. Anti-D injections at 28 and 32 weeks.

Balanced diet, weight, and BMI, folic acid. Regular antenatal check-ups. Report in case of any bleeding.

| 

My fiance's blood group and mine are different. Will it create problems to our baby's health?

Query: Hi doctor, My blood group is AB+, and my fiance's blood group is AB-. Will different blood groups create problems in future, regarding baby's health or other issues?  Read Full »

Do couples with different Rh factor have problems to conceive?

Query: Hello doctor, I am not sure of mine or my parent's blood types, but my sister's is O-negative and is Rh-negative. Does this mean I am also Rh-negative? And is it possible that mine and my husband's blood types, which could be incompatible, kept me from conceiving from 8 years?  Read Full »

Will long time steroid use for RA prevent me from having children?

Query: Hello doctor, I am a 28 year old male. I have been diagnosed with RA. And another rheumatologist told me I do not have enough symptoms for RA. However, I have been using Methylprednisolone 4 mg for almost four years every day. And this helps me completely get rid of any problems. If I do not take i...  Read Full »