Q. Is it necessary to get Rh injection after abortion?

Dr. Uzma Arqam

I am Rh negative. I recently had an abortion of six weeks and was not given the Rh injection. Is my health status safe to prevent future complications in pregnancies? This is the third week into the abortion. Can I still go for this injection?

#

Injection anti-D is needed to be taken in case of bleeding within 72 hours of the event. So, it is late already. Most mothers have well-developed immunity against rhesus positive blood group in her second pregnancy if the first child had Rhesus positive blood group. But in the case of fetomaternal hemorrhage also antibodies develop.

Rhesus negative issue arises if your partner is Rhesus negative. So first of all, check the blood group of your partner. If he is negative, then there are fewer chances of the fetus to have a positive blood group, so fewer chances of Rhesus isoimmunization issue in coming pregnancies. You can have antibody titer to be on safe side if the husband 's blood group is positive. But if the husband has blood group positive then in next pregnancy as per protocol you will have to get anti-D at 28 and 32, if pregnancy remains uneventful otherwise more time you could receive.

Rhesus negative with a history of miscarriage.

Husband's blood group.

Balanced diet. Normal BMI, weight.

If the husband's blood group is positive, then early booking for the next pregnancy to have better care.

|