Q. Is it necessary to get Rh injection after abortion?

Dr. Uzma Arqam
Published on Feb 14, 2019

I am Rh negative. I recently had an abortion of six weeks and was not given the Rh injection. Is my health status safe to prevent future complications in pregnancies? This is the third week into the abortion. Can I still go for this injection?

Dr. Uzma Arqam

Obstetrics And Gynaecology
#

Injection anti-D is needed to be taken in case of bleeding within 72 hours of the event. So, it is late already. Most mothers have well-developed immunity against rhesus positive blood group in her second pregnancy if the first child had Rhesus positive blood group. But in the case of fetomaternal hemorrhage also antibodies develop.

Rhesus negative issue arises if your partner is Rhesus negative. So first of all, check the blood group of your partner. If he is negative, then there are fewer chances of the fetus to have a positive blood group, so fewer chances of Rhesus isoimmunization issue in coming pregnancies. You can have antibody titer to be on safe side if the husband 's blood group is positive. But if the husband has blood group positive then in next pregnancy as per protocol you will have to get anti-D at 28 and 32, if pregnancy remains uneventful otherwise more time you could receive.

Rhesus negative with a history of miscarriage.

Husband's blood group.

Balanced diet. Normal BMI, weight.

If the husband's blood group is positive, then early booking for the next pregnancy to have better care.

| 

My fiance's blood group and mine are different. Will it create problems to our baby's health?

Query: Hi doctor, My blood group is AB+, and my fiance's blood group is AB-. Will different blood groups create problems in future, regarding baby's health or other issues?  Read Full »

Negative Blood Group and Pregnancy Rh Incompatibility

Article Overview: This article gives a brief knowledge about Rh negative blood group and pregnancy complications, and preventions in simple terms. Read Article

Dr. Jimesh H Mavani

What Is Rh Factor? There are mainly four blood groups, namely A, B, O, and AB. There is a subtype of each as positive and negative blood groups, namely A +ve, A -ve, B +ve, B -ve, etc. The subtype gets decided by the Rh factor (rhesus), an antigen present on the red blood cells. When it is present,...  Read Article