Q. I used water bottle of a person who was diagnosed with Mono. Am I at risk?

Published on Jun 06, 2019 and last reviewed on: Jun 10, 2019

I have PBC stage 4, Gave, COPD, Hashimoto's, etc. I have been around someone who was just diagnosed with mono. I have used her water bottle. Should I be worried and, if so, what symptom could I develop? Do I have to stay away from this person now? I am currently under Urso 300 mg six per day.

Hematology Pathology
#

Welcome to the icliniq.com.

I can understand your concern. Do not worry, and I will clear your doubt. Infectious mononucleosis usually caused by EBV (Epstein-Barr), and it can spread through saliva mainly. So sharing of the objects like water bottle or glass object can spread infection. So you are at risk of spending it. But do not be panic. The symptoms are fever and sore throat, mainly with enlarged cervical nodes. Splenomegaly also can occur. If fever, malaise, and sore throat occur than investigate by CBC (complete blood count) and serological test for EBV, which includes ESP (extrasensory perception), Ig M (immunoglobulin M), and Elisa (Enzyme-linked immunosorbent assay).

Infectious mononucleosis usually resolves by its own with time. Anyway if you suffer from fever and sore throat that will discuss further and you can consult a nearby physician for examination at that time. It is advisable not to share an object with an infected person. I hope this will help you. Get back with more query if you still have doubt.

| 

A 21 year old male fainted suddenly after a party. Please guide us.

Query: Hello doctor, This query is regarding a 21 year old male having no health complications in the past who suddenly fainted after a party. We took him to our GP for the check up. The GP found nothing wrong and advised rest. However, we went to the lab on our own and carried out CBC. WBC count was high...  Read Full »

TSH and TGAB are high. Could this be Hashimoto's disease or cancer?

Query: Hi doctor, I have done all thyroid tests and worried about the results.TSH is high at 4.56 milli international units per liter and thyroglobulin antibodies were high 2.8 IU/mL. TOP, T3, and T4 were normal; TPO 14 IU/mL and T4 free 0.95ng/dl. I am having throat pain and I feel like my glands are swo...  Read Full »

What is the treatment for COPD?

Query: Hi doctor, My father has SpO2 level with oxygen is more than 95 and without oxygen is 75-80. He also has COPD. But, all tests are normal like CT scan, USG and x-ray. Please explain.  Read Full »

Ask a Family Physician Now