Infectious Mononucleosis

How to treat chronic fatigue and weakness due to positive EBV?

Query: Hello doctor, I have had problems with chronic fatigue for the past 10 years. I was reading about EBV and the test came back positive. Can you review the attached report and give me analysis and next steps as far as testing and treatment?  Read Full »

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. I have seen the report (attachment removed to protect patient identity). The positive IgG report can be due to past infection as well. To rule out recent infection, you need to investigate with IgM antibody estimation against EBV (Epstein-Barr virus). ...  Read Full »

What is the white stuff on my tonsils?

Query: Hi doctor, I am a 21 year old female, and I thought I had strep throat. I went to the doctor to get a rapid strep test, but it came back negative. I then got a throat culture done, which I have not received. I have white furry looking stuff behind my tonsils. My throat was sore for three days, and m...  Read Full »

General Medicine Physician, Internal Medicine Physician, Rheumatologist

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. I went through your post and images (attachment removed to protect patient identity). You have a short history of sore throat and muscle pain, and your images show exudative pharyngitis. The most common reason is a viral infection, which will explain the sore throat...  Read Full »

I have white patches in the throat, but the strep test was negative. Why?

Query: Hi doctor, Two weeks ago, I developed white patches in the throat. I do not feel a sore throat, but there is slight discomfort, runny nose, and cough. I think it is due to cold. Also, I feel body pain for the past three days. I was tested for strep, and the rapid strep test was negative. The white...  Read Full »

Dr. Nagaraj Patil

General Medicine Physician, General Practitioner, Internal Medicine Physician, Diabetologist

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. By looking at the history and symptoms, a few things come to my list of differential diagnosis. Before that, I would like to know a few things like whether it is associated with difficulty in swallowing, headache, neck stiffness, etc. As you mentioned you have already t...  Read Full »

I have PBC and COPD. Should stay away from a person diagnosed with mono?

Query: Hello doctor,I have PBC stage 4, Gave, COPD, Hashimoto's, etc. I have been around someone who was just diagnosed with mono. I have used her water bottle. Should I be worried and, if so, what symptom could I develop? Do I have to stay away from this person now? I am currently under Urso 300 mg six pe...  Read Full »

Answer: Hello, Welcome to the icliniq.com. I can understand your concern. Do not worry, and I will clear your doubt. Infectious mononucleosis usually caused by EBV (Epstein-Barr), and it can spread through saliva mainly. So sharing of the objects like water bottle or glass object can spread infection. So ...  Read Full »

How accurate is monospot test for infectious mononucleosis?

Query: Hello doctor, My test is positive for infectious mononucleosis. But my EBV IgM is negative. How accurate Monospot test is? One week abdominal pain and severe throat pain were there.  Read Full »

Dr. Satyajit Jalinder Pawar

Internal Medicine Physician, Medical Oncologist, General Medicine Physician

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. Monospot test has high sensitivity but it is not so accurate. It can come positive in other infections like rubella, CMV (cytomegalovirus), HIV, toxoplasmosis, and other diseases like SLE. So, if EBV IgM is negative then chances of it being infectious mononucleosis i...  Read Full »

I have a lump below Adam's apple. What it could be?

Query: Hi doctor, I am a 33-year-old male. I am a non-smoker and non-drinker. I have a lump below Adam's apple. I have swollen lymph nodes with pain in the throat. The pain radiates up to the ears. There is a change in voice, hoarseness, and have difficulty in swallowing both solid and liquid foods. I hav...  Read Full »

Dr. Pradeep Patidar

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. I have gone through the attachment (attachment removed to protect patient identity). Your CT (computed tomography) scan is clear. Below Adam's apple, there is a thyroid gland, and a nodule in the thyroid is quite common. But the rest of the features suggests infectious ...  Read Full »

Is my recurrent throat infection due to mono?

Query: Hi doctor, I had strep infection about a month ago. It took 6 to 10 days to get cured with the antibiotics. It has come back in the same way again. Should I take the same antibiotics? Could it be something else like a mono tonsilitis? I am currently taking Imuran 50 mg. Please give your opinion.  Read Full »

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. I went through your post. You have received the antibiotics one month back for streptococcal infection. You cannot take the same antibiotics at this time because it has been less than three months. So, you need a different antibiotic with a different mechanism of action. ...  Read Full »

I get a bad fever every time I kiss somebody. Will this condition eventually go away?

Query: Hello doctor, I am a 20 year old woman. Every time I kiss someone, even just a peck or someone I have kissed before, I get a bad fever that sometimes lasts up to a week, nausea, and fatigue that makes me sleep almost all day and night. I have only kissed about three people. Will this go away eventua...  Read Full »

Dr. Saravan Pramod Settipalli

General Medicine Physician, Internal Medicine Physician, Family Physician

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. It could be due to Epstein-Barr virus (EBV). It typically occurs in teenagers, but you can get it at any age. The virus is spread through saliva, which is why some people call it 'the kissing disease.' I would like to enlighten you about few other diseases you can get ...  Read Full »