Q. Will monospot test give accurate results for infectious mononucleosis?

Dr. Satyajit Jalinder Pawar

My test is positive for infectious mononucleosis. But my EBV IgM is negative. How accurate Monospot test is? One week abdominal pain and severe throat pain were there.

Dr. Satyajit Jalinder Pawar

General Medicine Internal Medicine Medical Oncology
#

Monospot test has high sensitivity but it is not so accurate. It can come positive in other infections like rubella, CMV (cytomegalovirus), HIV, toxoplasmosis, and other diseases like SLE. So, if EBV IgM is negative then chances of it being infectious mononucleosis is low. EBV infection causing mononucleosis is usually self-limited and last for 3 to 4 weeks.

|