Q. Suffering from sore throat with post nasal drip and lymph node enlargement. What is causing it?

I am 19 years old and from the last two years, my sore throat is not going away. I am having a lot of post nasal drip. I tried taking OTC anti-histamines, nothing helped. Today I noticed a hard lump under the chin at right side right at the point where throat begins. What is causing it?

Do you have a question on Sore Throat or Inflammation?

Ask a Doctor Now

MBBS (MADRAS MEDICAL COLLEGE)., DLO., CERTIFICATE IN ALLERGIC RHINITIS MANAGEMENT., DNB
Allergy Specialist Otolaryngology (E.N.T)

The symptoms listed by you point to chronic tonsillopharyngitis mostly secondary to the post nasal drip. Delving into the details, the constant post nasal drip is causing inflammation of the posterior pharyngeal wall and the tonsils in the throat. When these get infected the adjacent lymph node (the jugulodigastric node), palpable under the angle of the jaw where the throat begins, gets swollen. I checked the picture you have sent. It shows enlarged tonsils with granular congestion of posterior pharyngeal wall.

We need to investigate you as to why there is chronic tonsillopharyngitis. We must evaluate the cause for post nasal drip. Most probably the post nasal drip could be due to some inflammation inside the sinuses. To rule out the same we must do a non-contrast CT scan of paranasal sinuses. At the same time, it will be prudent to get a monospot and streptoccal test done for the throat. Routine blood investigations will be helpful to check for agranulocytosis, infectious mononucleosis, lymphocytosis, anemia, etc. In the meantime, avoid spicy and cold food products. Desist from smoking and drinking. Drink plenty of fluids. I suggest you take a course of anti-inflammatory medicines, Chymotrypsin-Trypsin-Bromelain, taken twice daily in empty stomach for five days. I would also suggest taking Omeprazole 40 mg twice daily before meals for 10 days. In the meantime, you would get the tests done and get back to us with the reports.

If the diagnosis is in the lines that I have thought, you would require treatment for the sinusitis which would remove the causative factor for chronic tonsillitis. In any case, the investigations will help us arrive at the most decisive diagnosis. Do revert back for further support and help.

I have sore throat and weight loss. Do I need to test again for STD?
Query: Hello doctor,I had a test for STD and the results came negative for all tests. I received an oral sex from a spa therapist eight weeks ago. I tested for STD at six weeks. But I have a sore throat for one month and there is weight loss. Today I could see tiny rashes on my genitals. I tested again for...  Read Full »
Dr. Kakkar S
Dermatologist, HIV AIDS Specialist, Venereologist

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. I have noted your concern and I have viewed the attachments (attachment removed to protect patient identity). Receiving unprotected oral sex though much less of a risk as compared to unprotected vaginal or anal sex, is still not entirely safe. There is a possibility...  Read Full »

Is Gum Inflammation a Curable Problem?
Article Overview: The medical terminology for inflamed gums is 'gingivitis'. It is one of the most common oral health concerns faced by each of us. This article talks about the causes and cure for gingivitis.  Read Article »
Dr. Vasantha K S
Dentist

Gingivitis refers to inflammation of the gums. Gums (or gingiva) along with the bones and ligaments form the supporting structure of the teeth. Once they get swollen, there is redness, puffiness, and bleeding of gums. But, in most cases, it is treatable and reversible. When left untreated, it can l ...  Read Article »

What is the reason for continuous post nasal drip and sore throat?
Query: Hello doctor, I have a question about my ears, nose, and throat. From last year, I am having a continuous post-nasal drip and a very sore throat. I tried taking over-the-counter antihistamines and mucus thinner, but they did not help. I also have clicking in my ear. My voice kind of muffles in my le...  Read Full »

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. You seem to suffer from chronic rhinosinusitis that is producing constant post-nasal drip from the sinonasal membranes. The post-nasal drip irritates the throat mucosa causing pain and soreness. The mucus trickling down from nose also tends to block the Eustachian tu...  Read Full »

Ask a Doctor Now