Q. What is the role of ringer's lactate solution in self insemination kit?

I was diagnosed with ED after a penile Doppler study and observed with low blood flow. We both have been checked and confirmed with no issues with HSG (tube test, semen analysis, etc.). As we want to have a baby, and all the reports are normal, (only problem is ED, not able to perform intercourse), the doctor has suggested self-insemination at home. He has given a catheter, a container for collecting sperm and syringes to perform the self insemination. He suggested to add equivalent amount of ringer lactate solution with the sperm collected in the container. Then, take the mixture in a syringe and flow into the vagina through a catheter. We just want to have a second opinion to know whether it works out and mainly want to know why we need to add ringer lactate solution along with the sperm. What is the importance of adding ringer lactate? Is it mandatory to add this solution or can we do without the solution? Your inputs will help us to know the process in a better way.