Q. Is erectile dysfunction related to my thyroid disease?

Dr. Naresh Kumar Monigari
This is a premium question & answer published on Jan 04, 2018 and last reviewed on: Oct 09, 2018

I am a 72-year-old male with a height of 5 feet 6 inches and a weight of 78 kg. I have been on Eltroxin 100 mcg and Amloz 5 mg for two years for hypothyroidism. I am feeling fatigued and have an intense appetite. I have lost fertility for the last one year. My ESR value is 41. I also have COPD. Please advise what should I do. I have been on a thyroid medicine for three years. I have attached reports.

#

I had gone through all the details and reports (attachment removed to protect patient identity).

The TSH (thyroid-stimulating hormone) report is not available. So kindly review the TSH report again.

Coming to ESR (erythrocyte sedimentation rate) at 41, it need not be taken seriously unless you have other complaints.

Are you having unintentional weight loss?

The complaints you told were more like inadequate thyroid supplementation so kindly review with the TSH report again so that I can tell you better.

For more information consult a general medicine physician online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/general-medicine-physician

I am sending my thyroid report herewith. Somehow I had missed it yesterday. I feel a strong sexual urge but then there is that erectile dysfunction. Is it related to thyroid disease? Please advise what shall I do.

#

I have gone through the reports posted (attachment removed to protect patient identity).

Your thyroid status is optimal, so you can continue the same dose of Eltroxin (Thyroxine). Consult your specialist doctor, discuss with him or her and with their consent take the medicine.

With regards to erectile dysfunction, the most common cause at this age would be psychogenic.

By erectile dysfunction what do you mean? Is your ejaculation happening early or penis not becoming hard at all?

The mainstay of treatment is to decrease your stressors.

Daily regular physical activity and keep motivated.

Avoid masturbation and avoid smoking if you have a habit.

I have given up smoking four years back. I do not masturbate. The problem is penis not becoming hard. I have done a regular physical activity. I never harbor any stress.

#

I suggest you use tablet Penegra (Sildenafil) 50 mg as and when required for erection. Consult your specialist doctor, discuss with him or her and with their consent take the medicine.

This tablet should be taken 5 to 10 minutes before stimulation.

This tablet will make your penis hard and maintain the erection.

Try to use only when required.

Most of the people have premature ejaculation where penis becomes hard but ejaculation happens early and then softens.

If that is the issue then the treatment is different.

|