Q. Can depression tablets cause infertility?

Dr. Purushottam Sah
This is a premium question & answer published on May 03, 2017 and last reviewed on: Sep 07, 2021

We would like to conceive a baby, but we were not succeeding. Please help us. I am sending my semen analysis report. We were married for two years. We have protected intercourse with condom for the past two years. Before five months, we had taken the decision of having a baby. Before marriage, I had taken Serta 25 mg and Serta 50 mg to get cure from depression. Do that tablets cause any problem in infertility? Or do I have any problem in my semen report. My doctor advised me that the motility is 10% and it needs to be increased by 40%. Please help.

#

• Your semen report is normal (attachment removed to protect patient identity).
  • The medicine you took has no effect on semen. If you can make sex well, then it may take up to one year to get conceive.
  • If your wife's age is not much and she has regular periods, then can wait. Otherwise, she will need blood tests such as postprandial sugar, TSH (thyroid-stimulating hormone), prolactin and an ultrasound of the pelvis. Depending on the reports treatment will be decided. Best wishes.

Revert back with the reports to an infertility specialist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/infertility-specialist

|