Q. I am having trouble getting pregnant. What can I do other than IVF?

Dr. Balakrishnan. R

I am a 24 year old female who is having trouble getting pregnant. We have been trying for two years. We have been working with my gynecologist for a year now. I have tried Clomid six rounds. I have tried two IUIs and still nothing. My husband's sperm analysis was normal and we have been having sex almost everyday. This complication started after my second miscarriage. I just am at a loss. And do not know what more can we do other than IVF.

#

How are you doing?

I understand the strain you are experiencing. Your age, normal reports, semen parameters, trying almost every day are all good prognostic factors, most positive factor is that you had a pregnancy, no matter what your result was.

Use of Clomid improves your ovulation chances, IUI improves the chances of sperm meeting the egg.

The only thing I find missing in your history is the tubal evaluation. The fallopian tube is a bridge between the uterus and ovaries. Here the egg waits for the sperm, here embryo is formed and gradually moves to the uterus. This tube is never seen on scan or examination. The inner diameter of the tube is 1 mm. This can be blocked. So, no matter how good the sperm or egg is, they will not meet each other.

So I would advise, if I may, have a tubal evaluation with HSG (hysterosalpingography) X-ray with dye pushed into the uterus. The other method to evaluate is hysterolaparoscopy. An IUI after this test will definitely have better chances.

Hope I have clarified your query, do write back if any more queries.

For more information consult an infertility specialist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/infertility-specialist

|