Q. In spite of using inhaler often, I have heavy congestion. Why?

This is a premium question & answer published on May 27, 2016 and last reviewed on: Mar 21, 2020

I have been to doctor three times in the last two months and was prescribed many medications. But, I am simply not getting any better. Initially, I went in for respiratory issues. I had a terrible hacking cough and was literally using my Ventolin Inhaler more than I should. As I am asthmatic, I was placed on a nebulizer and given several other medications including Prednisone to take. After completing the medication the symptoms returned. I went back to the doctor who changed the antibiotic. It cleared up temporarily and again once the medication was completed, symptoms returned. Today, I am literally just feeling awful because I do not want to go back to a doctor as nothing seems to be getting better. I feel nauseous, I have headaches. I am using my inhaler frequently and there is still a very heavy congestion on my chest. I wake up in the middle of the night hacking. I cough until I cannot breathe. I overall feel dizzy, lightheaded and I have no energy. Please help.

#

There are few important points to consider.

• You should not be using the nebulizer or rescue inhaler that often.
  • You should be on inhaled steroid for asthma like Advair (Fluticasone and Salmeterol).
  • Please take Montelukast 10 mg daily. Also you would benefit from a patch test.
  • Stay away from allergy provoking agents. If you smoke then please discontinue it, since it is the worse provoking agent. Others are pollen, pets, dust mite and perfumes.
  • I would also suggest getting your oxygen saturation.
  • Please also start Omeprazole 20 mg 30 minutes before your dinner daily since gastroesophageal reflux disease (GERD) can cause asthma like symptoms.

Follow up in a week to an internal medicine physician online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/internal-medicine-physician

|