Q. Having on and off heavy bleeding other than normal menstruation. Why?

This is a premium question & answer published on Jul 04, 2016 and last reviewed on: May 20, 2020

I am 24 years old. I am not on any sort of birth control pills. I had a normal menstruation in the starting of this month and normal bleeding. After six to seven days, I started bleeding again. The bleeding was not very heavy, but lasted on and off for about six days. Now, after a gap of four days, I have got heavy bleeding again. It is not brown blood as I normally see during my period. It is dark red, much thinner and flows readily like a liquid. I feel pain in the lower abdomen whenever I get this bleeding. I also feel weak. There is no pain on urination or sex. I do not have a history of any infections. Also, I am not on any other regular medication. I am pretty sure that I am not pregnant. I have got a GP appointment in a week, but it is really worrying and painful sometimes. What could this be?

Infertility Obstetrics And Gynaecology
#

• The intermenstrual bleeding that you are experiencing this cycle is likely to be due to progesterone deficiency during the luteal phase, which can be due to stress induced hormonal imbalance and leading to breakthrough bleeding.
  • It is imperative for you to get a serum progesterone level done by day 21 of your cycle where the progesterone levels less than 21 ng/dL shall indicate progesterone deficiency.
  • You shall require cyclical Progesterone therapy for controlling such bleeds.

For further information consult an obstetrician and gynaecologist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/obstetrician-and-gynaecologist

|