Q. Is it normal to have bleeding in between periods?

Dr. Alison A. Rodriguez
Published on Apr 18, 2019

My fiancee has had a weird in-between period thing for about a week, and this just about a week ago. She had very slight bleeding for about a week with red to dark red to pink and sometimes brown. She had constant cramps for nine days during this as well. A week later her period is supposed to come on the 26th.

She is fine and on birth control and tells me she feels good but her upper back has been hurting for the past four days and she is starting to get cramps on and off again. We had sex two days before her last period and I have a strong feeling that it is just the birth control doing this. I used a condom and made sure there were no holes. Before I finished I pulled out but the condom slipped off and it got stuck inside of her and she said nothing was coming out of her after this happened. Is birth control the cause of all of this?

Dr. Alison A. Rodriguez

Obstetrics And Gynaecology
#

Any type of hormonal contraception may cause irregular bleeding that can be unpredictable in nature. If a birth control method is changed or if pills are missed, unscheduled bleeding can also occur. All birth control methods can fail, even with perfect use and unusual bleeding can also be a sign of pregnancy. A home pregnancy test is a good idea to make sure this is not the case.

Upper back pain an unusual side effect of birth control, but cramping may be normal if it is during a period. Cramping or pelvic pain in the setting of abnormal or irregular bleeding could be caused by many things including ovarian cysts, early or abnormal pregnancy, urinary tract infections, sexually transmitted infections or PID (pelvic inflammatory disease). She would need an exam and further testing in order to confirm the exact cause of her symptoms.

| 

Tips to Prevent Breast Cancer

Article Overview: This article discusses the risk factors and a few tips to prevent breast cancer. Read Article

Dr. Seyed Ali Jazaeri
Preventive Medicine Physician

There are a few risk factors that make you more susceptible to get breast cancer, which cannot always be prevented. But, there are things you can do that might lower your risk. Breast cancer risk factors mean anything that affects your chance of getting breast cancer. But having a risk factor does n...  Read Article

Morning After Pill

Article Overview: The morning after pill is a type of contraception that contains Levonorgestrel or Ulipristal acetate and is used to prevent pregnancy by women who have had unprotected sexual intercourse or women whose birth control method has failed.  Read Article

Dr. Sneha Kannan

What Is Morning-After Pill? The morning after pill is a type of contraception that contains Levonorgestrel or Ulipristal acetate and is used to prevent pregnancy by women who have had unprotected sexual intercourse or women whose birth control method has failed. As it is only used in cases of emerg...  Read Article

Is it possible to have ovulation and period symptoms when on Depot?

Query: Hello doctor, My period started 12th of last month. I reviewed the Depo shot two days later. I had unprotected sex nine days later. He ejaculated in me several times. I thought I would be protected but I am also having symptoms of ovulation like high (hard) cervix with a sharp pain in my ovary, the...  Read Full »