Can copper-T be the reason for my heavy and prolonged periods?

Q. Does copper T cause heavy periods? Suggest an alternative.

Answered by
Dr. Purushottam Sah
and medically reviewed by iCliniq medical review team.
This is a premium question & answer published on Oct 20, 2015 and last reviewed on: Jun 20, 2023

Hi doctor,

My baby is now 1 year old. I got copper T inserted after 3 months of my delivery. I still have prolonged and heavy periods followed by spotting lasting for up to 10-15 days. There is no other issue that I face. Is it because of copper T insertion or can there be some other reason too? Will the copper T removal solve the problem? How will the removal regularize my periods? What are the other birth control methods which are safe (I am not much inclined towards hormonal methods since they lead to weight gain etc.)?



Welcome to

I have read and understood your problem.

How was the bleeding before pregnancy and for 3 months after delivery? Was your delivery a normal or C-section? Whether the copper-T is properly placed or not or to see some other cause for heavy bleeding you need to take a transvaginal ultrasound -TVS. Sometimes if the bleeding continues then removal is the treatment, the period will regularize if it is due to copper T. If the cause is something else and the spotting continues, you will have to get treatment. There are medicines which can reduce the amount of bleeding. You need a clinical check-up.

Hi doctor,

Thank you for replying. My periods were normal before pregnancy. I delivered through C-section. I do not think I faced such an issue ever before.

I do not have heavy bleeding throughout these 10 days. The flow is almost negligible for the first two days and then heavy for next three to four days and again reduces. This continues for almost a week. I face spotting or traces of unfresh blood for almost a week. I just do not understand what is going on. Also, I am looking for another alternative for birth control if copper T is the reason.



Welcome back to

Yes, you need to do TVS. If no other problem is found, then the cause is copper T.

You can take oral contraceptive pills (OCP) for 3 months to reduce the duration of bleeding and spotting.

OCP is the best contraceptive. Another is long-acting hormone injections. But you do not want hormones, so a condom is an option.

There is hormone containing intrauterine contraceptive device (IUCD) that does not cause prolonged spotting or weight gain.

Was this answer helpful?


Same symptoms doesn’t mean you have the same problem. Consult a doctor now!

Related Questions:
I am bleeding while on birth control. What could be the reason?

Hello doctor, I am 25 years old. I got married six months back but I am not satisfied with my sex relationships because my penis is so small and not getting up for more time. So, please give me any suitable advice which can help my penis to get large and satisfy me and my partner.   Read full

Yasmin Birth Control Pills

It is prescribed as a 28-day or 21-day oral contraceptive pill ... One tablet has to be taken orally every day at the same time ... Smoking increases the risk of hea   Read full

I am getting regular period and on Nexplanon, but still spotting. Is that due to pregnancy?

I then had a period of 14 days in the next month and I am still spotting ... I got periods on the next month for four days, and after five days of my periods I got a Nexplanon   Read full

Also Read Answers From:

ideaComprehensive Medical Second Opinion.Submit your Case

Also Read

PCOS and Liver Problems
The hormonal imbalances in polycystic ovary syndrome could cause liver diseases. Read the article to know the relationship between these medical conditions.  Read more»
Inferior Alveolar Nerve Lateralization Technique
The inferior alveolar nerve lateralization technique is a surgical lateralization technique to reposition the nerve. Read the article to know more about this.  Read more»
COVID-19 and Ebola: Similarities and Differences
This article gives a comparison and broader overview of the outbreak of the two deadliest diseases that showed a greater incidence over the last two decades.  Read more»

Ask your health query to a doctor online?

Ask an Obstetrician & Gynaecologist Now

* guaranteed answer within 4 hours.

Disclaimer: No content published on this website is intended to be a substitute for professional medical diagnosis, advice or treatment by a trained physician. Seek advice from your physician or other qualified healthcare providers with questions you may have regarding your symptoms and medical condition for a complete medical diagnosis. Do not delay or disregard seeking professional medical advice because of something you have read on this website. Read our Editorial Process to know how we create content for health articles and queries.