Interstitial Cystitis

My sister suffers a lot due to frequent urination. Is it good to take Cystopen for it?

Query: Hi doctor, My sister is 20 years old. She has a problem of frequent urination. She has to urinate numerous times. She has undergone cystoscopy and urodynamics test. She has a small and weak bladder with 350 mL capacity. But, the reason behind frequent urination has to be diagnosed still. The doctor ...  Read Full »

Dr. Santosh Badaku Desai

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. I understand your concern. I went through your sister's reports (attachment removed to protect patient identity). Your sister's uroflow study shows an average flow rate of 13.5 mL per second (normal more than 15 mL per second) and a desire to micturate and bladder capaci...  Read Full »

How is interstitial cystitis treated?

Query: Hi doctor, I am asking this inquiry on behalf of my niece. She suffers from a bladder condition called interstitial cystitis. She suffers from retention, urgency, and frequency even after taking numerous tests and medicines. It has affected her life severely. She has this problem for two years and ...  Read Full »

Dr. Alexander Davis, Md

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. I understand your concern. You did not mention whether she has done a cystoscopy. For getting the definitive diagnosis of interstitial cystitis, a cystoscopy is mandatory. You can treat this condition by taking Amitriptyline. I cannot predict whether it will work for yo...  Read Full »

What can I do for bad bladder spasm present with burning?

Query: Hi doctor, I am a 23 year old female diagnosed with UTI before six months back and took antibiotics. But I still have mild weird symptoms until today. I tested it again and did more than ten urine tests with culture during these six months. I felt that there is something wrong. But there is no sign...  Read Full »

Dr. Samer S J Altawil

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. There are two main issues and it can cause problems. The first one is interstitial cystitis. It causes chronic inflammation of the bladder with pain during filling of the bladder and pain goes away when the urine is passed. You can do cystoscopy and bladder biopsy. Then...  Read Full »

Will Opiates be helpful in interstitial cystitis?

Query: Hi doctor, I was diagnosed with IC over a year ago, and at first, the pain was manageable. Now, my flares have gotten worse, especially during my cycle. I have pelvic pain, back pain, and urethral pain, all of which are five times worse during periods. I have been working with my urogynecologist wi...  Read Full »

Dr. Penchala Prasad Kandikattu

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. I feel sorry about your health condition. Interstitial cystitis is a chronic bladder condition that causes recurring bouts of pain and pressure in the bladder and pelvic area, often accompanied by an urgent and frequent need to urinate. There is no exact cause for it...  Read Full »

Why is it necessary to drink plenty of water while taking Phenazopyridine?

Query: Hello doctor, I have interstitial cystitis. Why should one drink lots of water while taking Phenazopyridine?  Read Full »

Dr. Rashi Verma

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. Phenazopyridine is a drug which is used to treat pain, burning urination, increased urination or increased urge to urinate. These symptoms are caused by problems in the lower urinary tract due to infection, injury or any condition that irritated the urinary tract...  Read Full »

What can cause the penis to tingle?

Query: Hi doctor, I am a 27 year old sexually active male. I have been with the same girl for the past 10 years and we are loyal in the relationship. I am having a ton of issues and pain in my lower region. The symptoms are lower back pain, pain in my pubic region, pain and tingling in my testicles, burnin...  Read Full »

Dr. Raman Tanwar

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. Your symptoms do point towards chronic prostatitis. With negative culture and positive pus cells, it is likely that you are suffering from CPPS IIIA, which is non-bacterial inflammatory chronic prostatitis. Now, this is a difficult condition to manage and requires long-...  Read Full »

My frequent urination problem stopped after I started masturbating. Are they related?

Query: Hello doctor, I am a 19 year old male, who weighs 72 kg and 176 cm tall. About 3 to 4 years ago, I was urinating every 5 to 10 minutes, so I used some medicines. It took about two months to get rid of this illness, but it did not heal completely. For the first two years, I was urinating in every 1...  Read Full »

Dr. Shahil Khant

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. You have classical signs of overactive bladder or interstitial cystitis. I think if you feel better with masturbation, then you can masturbate there is no harm. Yes, masturbation will cause relaxation of bladder muscles and help indirectly. Continue with other conserv...  Read Full »

How likely is it that IC can cause scarring of the bladder?

Query: Hello doctor,I have been told that I have IC as a constant urge to urinate and sore bladder. It is believed that an embedded UTI has caused this condition. (I am male). Can you please answer these specifically:Can IC get worse over time?How likely is it that IC cause scarring of the bladder?Will bla...  Read Full »

Dr. Mahmoud Ahmed Abelrahman Abouibrahim

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. Interstitial cystitis course is unpredictable and may get worse and affect sexual functions if untreated. One of the strongest theories is a leak in the epithelium causing some irritating substances to cause inflammation which may later lead to scarring over time. S...  Read Full »

I have discomfort and difficulty while urinating. What could be causing this?

Query: Hello doctor,I have had a difficulty urinating since more than five months. I have had UTI in the past. I know this time it is not an infection as I do not have any pain or stinging. I feel my bladder is full and I feel a discomfort as I cannot empty it. I drink enough water. I have had bladder and...  Read Full »

Dr. Shahil Khant

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. I think you are suffering from interstitial cystitis or bladder pain syndrome. It is a diagnosis of exclusion. So, when you visit your urologist, you should talk to him about this possibility. He may advise cystoscopy to rule out other causes. I suggest you take table...  Read Full »